In MAXQDA’s Code Memos there is a “Code Summary” area where you can write a summary for the segments that were coded with the respective code. This provides a perfect location where you can aggregate key content captured by a code.
Using AI Assist, you can create a Code Summary for the coded segments automatically and then edit the summary if necessary.
To create an automatic summary for the segments coded with a selected code:
- Open the code memo for the code, e.g. by double-clicking on the memo icon in the “Code System” window. If the code does not have a memo yet, you can create a new one by right-clicking on the code and selecting the Memo function.
- Start AI Assist by clicking on the corresponding icon as shown in the figure above.
- In the dialog that appears, select the language in which the summary should be written. AI Assist automatically detects the language of the coded segments. The segments’ languages can differ from the summary language and the segments can also differ in their languages.
After clicking OK, the summary will be created automatically. This may take a few moments depending on the number and length of the segments. If a summary already exists, the new summary will be added at the end.
- AI Assist provides very good results for very many use cases. Nevertheless, it is important that you check the results.
- The summary always considers all segments coded with the selected code but not the segments of its subcodes.
- If you analyze texts with critical content (violence, hate speech, bullying, etc.), summaries may not be created.
- Usually, you will receive the same summary for the same segments, but since AI Assist is always being optimized, you may receive a slightly different version when calling the function again at a later date.
See also the frequently asked questions on AI Assist.