The process of paraphrasing is independent of coding, i.e., the process neither requires coding of the data (from a methodological point of view) nor does it generate codes. However, an entry “Paraphrased Segments” appears in the “Code System” window as soon as the first paraphrase in a project is created. This entry is very similar to a code and gives you access to all paraphrases in the current project. You can use the entry similarly to a code to call up all paraphrases for selected documents in the “Retrieved Segments” window:
- In the “Document System” window, activate a document that includes paraphrases.
- Activate the “Paraphrased Segments” code in the “Code System” window.
The “Paraphrased Segments” entry in your “Code System” has some special features:
- You can’t delete it, rename it or use it for coding.
- By default, it is displayed at the bottom of the code system. In the local settings (accessible by clicking on the cogwheel icon in the “Code System” header title), you can choose to display it at the top of the code system instead.
- Coded segments cannot be added to or copied from it.
- Paraphrases are not indicated by a coding stripe in the “Document Browser”.
- Paraphrases are ignored in the visual tool Document Portrait and also when creating document models in MAXMaps.
- Paraphrases are displayed in the visual tool Codeline.