MAXQDA2007 is the newest version of the worldwide-established software MAXQDA (former MAX.txt and winMAX) and reflects 18 years of software development for innovative text analysis and knowledge management. As one of the pioneers in computer-assisted qualitative data analysis, we are proud to continuously provide reliable and innovative improvements to our QDA software.MAXQDA2007 provides the rare combination of extraordinary user-friendliness and state-of-the-art scientific text analysis, which is still unsurpassed. Here are some highlights out of the more than 65 new features:
- Colours – MAXQDA now offers free colour choosing (>1.000.000 colours) for codes, subcodes, and texts.
- Codeliner – is a new visual function, which displays the codes of a text like a score for a composition. This provides a completely new view of the text- s contents. Codeliner is especially useful for the analysis of focus groups.
- Text Portrait – enables the visualisation of the text- s codes as a colourful picture.
- Text Comparison Chart (TCC) – A visual display of different texts and codes selected by the user.
- Code-Matrix-Browser – This visual function now offers the option to display numbers instead of symbols. The graphic can also be saved as a picture. The same options are now available for the Code-Relation-Browser, too.
- Unicode – More than 6.000 lines of source code had to be rewritten for this feature. The new MAXQDA2007 offers complete Unicode support, i.e. texts, codes, and variable names can now be written in any language, for example Chinese, Japanese, Greek etc. The same is also valid for search keys used in lexical searches.
Improved Text Retrieval
- Text Retrieval – A new designed result box makes it easier to browse the results of all kinds of text retrieval.
- HTML Tables – One click makes it possible to display the retrieval results as an html table.
- Retrieved Segments Box – A new toolbar offering direct access to important functions like printing, exporting or recoding has been added to the MAXQDA Retrieved Segments Window.
- Desktop – You will find new toolbars in most places making your work faster, more efficient and more intuitive.
- Text Import – Texts can now be imported by simple drag-and-drop from the Windows Explorer.
- Context Menu – A new context menu in the MAXQDA Text Browser offers direct access to relevant actions like “new code”, “in-vivo code”, “attach memo” etc. This allows for extremely swift coding.
More Features for the Text Browser
- Tables in RTF – Tables created by Word, Excel and other software could not be handled properly by QDA-software in the past. The new improved table function of MAXQDA enables working with these tables, even when cells contain multiple lines. Text in the table- s cell can be coded in the same way as “regular text”.
- External Links – Links to external files and resources can now be inserted in a text similar as in Word, Dream Weaver or other software.
- Undo – An Undo function has been added to the MAXQDA Text Browser. All operations and changes that have been made can be cancelled (in the same session).
Further Highlights of the New Functions
- Text Link-Browser – All text passages which have been linked together by the researcher(s) are conveniently displayed in this new overview list.
- Crosstabs – These matrix tables allow the combination of variables and codes for selected texts.
- Attributes – The function “Attributes” has been split up into a “attribute view” and a “data view” similar like in SPSS. Thus, the handling of attributes runs faster, especially if a project contains many attributes.
- Comments – This feature, introduced with V.2 of MAXQDA, has been improved significantly. Comments are shown in quick infos (on mouse over) and are transferred to MAXMaps together with the segment, supporting the analytical use of the Maps.
Many Features are kept (and are imitated more and more by other QDA products)
- The Best User-Interface – The four-window structure of the MAXQDA basic screen allows for ideal data analysis and creates an unprecedented closeness to the data no other QDA program will offer you.
- The Best Memo System – No other QDA software offers such a sophisticated and comfortable memo system, giving you the opportunity of distinguishing different memo types (also visually), coding memos, keeping them at glance in the memo manager, and having access to each idea recorded in a memo with a lexical search.
- The “One Project = One file” Principle – This concept of saving a project in a single file has been around since the very first version of MAXQDA, enhancing the security of your data and easing the exchange with your team members – so there is no risk of data and file chaos as with other QDA software.
- The Principle of Activation, Enabling the Fastest Way of Text Retrieval – With the easily handled activation every text retrieval can be conducted in a swift and optimal manner. No other program offers such closeness to the data.
- Control of Colours and Coding Stripe Colours – Colour assignments are user controlled and can be used functionally – not just merely an aesthetic accessory.
- Unique Support for Team Work – Team work is supported on several levels. Multiple persons can code text, write memos, or edit attributes without producing a chaotic data cluster.
- Integration of MAXMaps and MAXDictio – The perfect integration of the mapping tool MAXMaps and the quantitative content analysis tool MAXDictio.