MAXQDA

Sorting error on user defined document variable

Moderator: srueger

Sorting error on user defined document variable

08.10.2023, 22:21

Update: I believed this problem was about date/time document variables added by users. However, it turns out to be about any document variables added by users, regardless of data type. This makes it even more difficult to sort lists by document variables. (Had it been only about date/time, I could have converted to text or integer, but it does not help.)
I have added "Date issued" as a date/time document variable (by importing data from an .xlsx file). I have also marked this document variable as a favorite variable, so that I can display it in the list (or overview) of coded segments for a specific code. When I sort the documents on "Date issued" in the data editor for document variables, the sorting order is correct. (Thus the date/time data are imported correctly.) When I sort the coded segments on "Date issued" in the list of coded segments, however, the sorting order is incorrect. The "Date issued" variable seems to be treated as a second level sorting criterion (although I cannot find the grouping variable). The sorting order does not change even if I remove all variables except "Date issued" from the overview. I then check if this is caused by the date/time nature of my variable. I check that by sorting the coded segments on the date/time variable "Created", which the software generates automatically when the segment is coded. In this case, the sorting order is correct (on "Created", of course). Hence there seems to be a bug that results in an incorrect sorting on user-provided date/time document variables in the list (or overview) of coded segments for a specific code. Can this be fixed?

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
hakonf

Re: Sorting error on user defined document variable

13.10.2023, 11:54

Hello,

could you maybe report this to the function support team including a screenshot that shows the incorrect sorting? Without a screenshot it is hard to reproduce the exact error and provide a solution.

You can reach the support team here: https://www.maxqda.com/function-support

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer

Re: Sorting error on user defined document variable

15.10.2023, 20:31

Thanks, Wolfgang; I have just submitted a ticket with screenshots as you suggested.
hakonf

Return to Technical Questions