MAXQDA

Codes not merging properly

08.09.2022, 10:27

Hello,
When I merge codes in the code system the program doesn't include all the coded segments.

Illustrative example:

Dairy - 20 coded segments
Cheese - 4 coded segments

merge cheese with Dairy

Result

Dairy - 5 coded segments
Here I would expect => Dairy - 24 coded segments

I've tested this and I can un-merge and then merge the two same codes again immediately afterward and I'll get a different number of coded segments.

In addition, when I close MAXQDA after having un-merged the codes this is the result

Dairy - 0 coded segments
Cheese - 0 coded segments

Version: MAXQDA 2022
System: Mac OS X 12.x (Monterey)
RSOUTH

Re: Codes not merging properly

09.09.2022, 12:01

Hello,

Thank you for this question!

Are you opening your .mx project file from a network drive, a usb-drive or from a folder that is synched with a cloud service? This can in some cases damage your file and lead to such or similar issues.

If you have opened the file from a cloud in the past, it might help to setup a new data base for the project as follows:

1) Create a new project file and save it on your local hard drive (e.g. your desktop)
2) Go to the "Home"-tab, and select "Merge projects" (all the way to the right)
3) Select your existing project file and merge them

This will reinitialize the database structure of your project file and should remove any data base inconsistencies.

If this does not help, it would be best to contact the support directly.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Re: Codes not merging properly

09.09.2022, 12:46

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for the potential solve, I implemented this and the issue was not resolved.

I'll contact support directly.

Have a nice day!
RSOUTH

Return to Technical Questions