MAXQDA

I was excited about the paraphrase tool, and then I tried it

Moderator: srueger

I was excited about the paraphrase tool, and then I tried it

28.01.2018, 06:06

The new paraphrase tool looked great in the demo. I've long wanted a way to see notes "in the margins" alongside the text and codes, but the current implementation is rather strange. It would be great if you could paraphrase and code at the same time without having to click in and out of paraphrase mode. It's also strange you can't use existing codes in the code system for paraphrase categorization.

I've tried using the Comment feature for coded segments, but it's very cumbersome to have to right-click on the code every time to add a comment. It would be great if there was a keyboard shortcut for this.

Similarly, the memos can be coded but only with recent codes, so yet again more clicking is required.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
christoski

Re: I was excited about the paraphrase tool, and then I trie

29.01.2018, 14:58

Hello christoski,

thanks for your feedback, and welcome to the MAXQDA forum!

"It would be great if you could paraphrase and code at the same time without having to click in and out of paraphrase mode. It's also strange you can't use existing codes in the code system for paraphrase categorization. "

The reason for both limitations lies in the anticipated usage of this feature as a precursor for creating a new code system inductively. But that doesn't mean we can't change it if people use it for something else... the decision however is not mine to make. But I know that this point has already come up and is under consideration by the development team.

"I've tried using the Comment feature for coded segments, but it's very cumbersome to have to right-click on the code every time to add a comment. It would be great if there was a keyboard shortcut for this."

Hmmm... well I like this idea because I love keyboard shortcuts, but in this case, I believe it's not as trivial as it seems on first glance, because you can code with multiple codes at once and have multiple coded segments at one and the same passage, so the question would be for MAXQDA, which code should get a comment. Maybe a shortcut for "Comment last coded segment" would do the trick..

"Similarly, the memos can be coded but only with recent codes, so yet again more clicking is required."

Some good news at last: you can drag & drop codes directly from the code system into the box called "linked codes" (in the memo window).

Once again, thank you for your feedback! It might take a while before we can address this, but all the feedback gets reviewed and is taken under consideration by the development team at one point or another.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

Return to Feature Requests