MAXQDA

Using Search at Top of Document Browser Hits Don't Show

Moderator: srueger

Using Search at Top of Document Browser Hits Don't Show

15.12.2023, 11:06

Hello,

Searching files, PDF or text / word from the search box at the top of the Document Browser, a hit interface should show.

It does not show with regularity, or even at all in many cases.

I restarted. Sometimes it shows. Sometimes not. Same project.

Search by right clicking on the document does work, but is too cumbersome.

What do you think is happening?

Missing element is illustrated below.

[attachment=0]searched-hits-interface-not-showing.jpg[/attachment]

Version: MAXQDA 24
System: Windows 10
Attachments
searched-hits-interface-not-showing.jpg
searched-hits-interface-not-showing.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 22806 times
sun-wind-surf

Re: Using Search at Top of Document Browser Hits Don't Show

14.02.2024, 04:54

I have the same problem, but also would like MaxQDA to help us save space on our computer screens.

Please see the photo below:

1) The search box is on one line of the upper menu, but...
2) The search results and related menu are on another extra line, and in a far corner.
3) There is no more button to minimize the upper menu away.
4) So, the upper menu takes up a big chunk of the screen space. It leaves less space below it for your texts , which you are actually working with.

Please restore the option to minimize the upper menu away. Allow us to work with our texts full screen.

Thank you!
Attachments
MaxQDA room waste.JPG
MaxQDA room waste.JPG (157.44 KiB) Viewed 16158 times
Last edited by lauri on 16.02.2024, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
lauri

16.02.2024, 09:09

Hello,

Thank you for your questions! We have checked the search function and did not find any issue with it on our end.

However, maybe a change from MAXQDA2022 to MAXQDA24 is causing some surprise here. As you can see in the attached image, the search bar has changed its location between these versions.

The empty bar next to the code symbols is not for searching or results but used to code data. It shows the recently used codes (none, if the program was just started).

Thank you for your feedback regarding the size of the menu. As you can tell from the screenshots we are always working on optimizations here. I have forwarded your feedback to our development team.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang
Attachments
MQ22-MQ24_lq.jpg
MQ22-MQ24_lq.jpg (237.98 KiB) Viewed 16164 times
Wolfgang Meyer

16.02.2024, 09:50

Just a small response.

Wolfgang wrote: "The empty bar next to the code symbols is not for searching or results but [...] shows the recently used codes."

Sorry, I meant the line above that empty bar. That's where the search results appear.

I edited my drawing to show it more precisely -- it is circled in red with number "2".

Instead of opening up a whole new menu line, those search results (red circle "2") could easily appear next to the search bar (red circle "1") -- plenty of space there, and also more intuitive.

Thank you for the response and for forwarding to the development team!
Attachments
MaxQDA room waste.JPG
MaxQDA room waste.JPG (157.44 KiB) Viewed 16157 times
lauri

23.02.2024, 00:06

Hello,

Thank you for your clarification. Have you tried minimizing the top menu by clicking on the title of a ribbon tab? It should then look like the attached image and save a lot of space.

Also, we understand that your suggestion would save a menu line and we would have loved to implement it this way. However, there is a 3 and a 2 column layout in MAXQDA (you can switch between them in the top right) and this would only be an advantage for one of these.

I hope the collapsed top menu already helps!

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang
Attachments
collapse.jpg
collapsed menu
collapse.jpg (144.58 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
Wolfgang Meyer

23.02.2024, 03:58

Thank you for the tip. Clicking on a title in the upper menu did indeed minimize the menu. That's very helpful to know.
lauri

28.02.2024, 02:53

A separate button for minimizing the upper menu would be helpful, though. Now as i keep clicking on the upper menu titles to minimize the menu, it sometimes takes a lot of repeated clicking before it finally works..
lauri

Return to Technical Questions