MAXQDA

PDF coded segment not reflecting the text

16.10.2023, 08:40

Dear MAXQDA community,

I have a query regarding coded segment aspect of PDF document. I have coded the text of PDF and it is displayed with a color name. However, in the coded segment when I try to retrive the code, the displayed text is showing some error. Actual text is not displayed. I have attached the screenshot. Looking forward to your solution.

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2023-10-16 093236.png[/attachment]

Version: MAXQDA 2022
System: Windows 11
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-16 093236.png
Screenshot 2023-10-16 093236.png (96.18 KiB) Viewed 29416 times
aniketbhav

Re: PDF coded segment not reflecting the text

24.10.2023, 10:37

Hello and thank you for your question!

This seems like an issue with the text layer of the PDF. Please try to copy and paste the text of the PDF into another document (outside of MAXQDA). Does the same incorrect text come up? In this case, the text layer of the PDF is broken and cannot be fixed within MAXQDA. Probably you will need to do a new OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that provides a good text layer and then import the file into MAXQDA again.

You can read more about what an OCR is and how text layers in PDFs work here: https://rossum.ai/dp/ocr-pdf/

I hope this helps!

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer

Re: PDF coded segment not reflecting the text

26.10.2023, 12:57

Thank you for reaching out to the MAXQDA community. We appreciate the screenshot you've provided.

To address this issue, please ensure you're using a compatible PDF document and that it's not password-protected or encrypted. Additionally, make sure your MAXQDA software is up to date.

If the problem persists, try reimporting the PDF document to see if that resolves the display error. If not, feel free to share more details or contact our support team for personalized assistance.

Best regards,
[petroben]
petroben

Return to Technical Questions