MAXQDA

Import from Excell

26.06.2023, 23:16

I started an analysis and imported from Excel. It worked perfectly. We then added five people to the population, and the used the same Excell sheet I used for the original import (less the old names), and my steps were:

1) Import Survey Data from Excel spreadsheet
2) Selected spreadsheet to be imported
3) Selected the document group: [Group}] Column A in the spreadsheet, titled "Group" with "Survey" down the column
4) Selected the document name: [Interviewee] Column C in the spreadsheet, title "Interviewee" with the the individuals who were interviewed
5) Confirmed Code or Variable
6) "Import" is selected for the question "Documents that exist in project before import (same document name in document groups)

Hit Okay

The close questions / code were imported but not the variable data

Version: MAXQDA 2022
System: Windows 11
KACarter

Re: Import from Excell

30.06.2023, 09:31

Hello,

thank you for your question! Do I understand it correctly that the values of the document variables were missing? Here, it seems most likely that the names of the variables (columns in your excel table) did not exactly match with the variables in MAXQDA. If they are different, they cannot be imported.

You can also try to import your document variables in an extra step. For this after trying the (partly successful) import with the Import from Excel you can try the following:
- Make a copy of the Excel file that you are importing
- In this copy, delete all columns with open questions/codes
- Now open in MAXQDA "Variables > Data Editor"
- There, select the file you edited earlier and try just to import the variables for the already existing documents.

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Return to Technical Questions