MAXQDA

Autocode with Dictionary - Repeating same set of codes issue

Moderator: srueger

Autocode with Dictionary - Repeating same set of codes issue

10.06.2021, 21:20

Greetings,

I am having a painful problem with repeating sets of codes after executions of Autocode with the same Dictionary. For example, the first set is MaxDictio, then after 2 and 3 times, I got MaxDictio (1), and MAxDictio(2). Merging the sets take lots of time as the hierarchies are complex. Is there a way to prevent this issue?

Thank you.
TN

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
theResearchNinja

Re: Autocode with Dictionary - Repeating same set of codes i

11.06.2021, 09:35

Hello,

thank you for your question! Do we assume correctly that by "Set" you mean the Codes in the Code System?

Yes, whenever you use the Quantitative Content Analysis function a new Code "MAXDictio" is created. The fastest solution here might be to delete the old MAXDictio code before creating the new ones as usually the new codes also contain all the old codes.

If that is not possible, using the "merge" function via dragging and dropping a code the duplicate code may be a quick solution.

If both does not work for you, here is a more complex but clean solution:
- Use MAXDictio to create a code "MAXDictio (1)
- Rename the top Code to from "MAXDictioi (1)" to "MAXDictio" so that both codes are now identical in name
- Activate the new Codes and export them via "Home > Teamwork > Teamwork Export" (make sure only to export the new codes!)
- Now delete the new codes that you just exported within your MAXQDA project
- Use "Home > Teamwork > Teamwork Import" to import the exchange file that you exported earlier

This way, MAXQDA will integrate the new codes into the old codes and recognize all codes with identical names as the same.

I hope this helps! Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Re: Autocode with Dictionary - Repeating same set of codes i

11.06.2021, 16:17

Thank you. The "team work" workaround may be the best fit for my case. I need to autocode about 3000 documents and MaxQDA always crash near the end so I have to autocode about 1000 documents each time. I did submit the crash report and hopefully the bug will be fixed soon.
- TRN
theResearchNinja

Return to Technical Questions