Code Matrix Browser function not possible

16.08.2018, 13:00

[This topic is posted for reference purposes only. It has already been answered by email].

When I try to use the Code Matrix Browser, the program crashes.

Answer:
This happens when the CMB processes too many documents at once.
The reason that this happens is the 32-bit-architecture of MAXQDA.
We are currently working intensively on releasing a 64bit-version for windows, but it will still take a little while. In the meantime, I'm afraid you would need to process less document at once.

-
As a result, we can not run the analysis we want, although we have fast 64-bit computers ourselves.

It's a pity, because the answer to many of my questions on this forum is: ' use the Code Matrix Browser'. And that is exactly what we can NOT do.

See: https://www.maxqda.com/en/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1266&sid=fe14c52e064a6dabffa0e4fff254ec28

"Do you already know the "Code-Matrix-Browser"? If you're interested in the occurence of codes across documents/document groups, that's the tool to go with"

and see: https://www.maxqda.com/en/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1264

"use the "Code Matrix Browser" in the "Visual Tools"-tab. It'll show you how often a code appears in each document. Both the options at the beginning and the symbol bar in the following result window will allow you to "Count hits per document only once" (fourth button from the right)."

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
Loekarin

Re: Code Matrix Browser function not possible

20.08.2018, 10:06

Dear Karin,

thank you for all of your recent questions and activity in general! Hopefully that will make things clear for users who experience similar issues and have similar questions. I'll just start here:

When I try to use the Code Matrix Browser, the program crashes.

Yes, this is correct – currently on Windows, with only the 32bit-version available at this point [we're hard at work to change this in the near future by the way], processing ~ 1000 documents and 1000 codes at once with the Code Matrix Browser will result in a crash. (1000 documents and 100 codes work here at least, I suspect vice versa it does as well.)

The most likely reason why this hasn't been addressed beside working on the 64bit version is that a visual representation of the occurence of codes in documents that encompasses one million cells is very seldomly needed (to be honest, I personally haven't encountered or can think of a scenario where this would we be necessary or even helpful). Maybe there is some way in which you could group your documents before using the CMB? Like limiting the codes to be displayed to those you could effectivly use to group your documents together? In regard to the technical aspect of it, I'll continue my answer here:

https://www.maxqda.com/en/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1295
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

20.08.2018, 14:07

Hi Andreas,

"Hopefully that will make things clear for users who experience similar issues and have similar questions."

That's exactly why I decided to crosspost some emails on the forum as well. Because then more users could benefit from the answers.

And you're right, 1000 codes is very much :-)

We started our coding process inductively. We have about 1000 documents. We did not want to start with a predefined coding system, because that would impose a predefined structure on the data. Instead, we started inductively, trying to see what would come out. But we saw a great diversity in answers.
So, in the first round of coding, we ended up with almost every document having its own code, resulting in also about 1000 codes.
Which is too much, of course.

From these detailed codes, we built up to a overarching structure. We ended with only 20 main codes, that we use to structure the data.
But we came there starting with very much details --> and then collapsing into greater categories.
So the underlying detailed codes are still there, and I don't want to throw them away.
I can imagine that for somebody else this would be too much, but I have seen them so many times that I know them by heart and I can easily find my way in it.

And because we started with high detail and later brought these sub-subcodes (or sub-sub-subcodes) into larger categories by 'Drag and Drop' (and not recoding), I now have to figure out how to use the larger (collapsed) categories. I noticed that sometimes collapsing sublevel codes into a higher order code does not automatically result in counting towards this higher order code.

I noticed this in the frequency table, but also when I tried to make a code matrix or a code relations matrix.
It seems that 'sum' or 'aggregate' is not automatically done.

Maybe I test this further, but we also turned to Excel.
Loekarin

22.08.2018, 10:04

Hi Karin,

thank you again for your detailed reply and description of your proceedings, that's quite helpful in understanding how you got such a staggering amount of codes! I also prefer working inductively, but unfortunately I've never been part of such an extensive project.. sounds interesting as well.. but coming back to topic, I can only say that aggregating the code frequencies with the Code Matrix Browser/Code Relations Browser by collapsing parent codes works here on our computers on every level.. and I also haven't seen a case yet where it doesn't, always seemed a very robust feature to me. Maybe you slipped into a wrong row or something? In regard to frequency tables, I must read your latest extensive reply before I can say anything. We're all quite busy at the moment, as I've mentioned, something great is coming up, and I've got to make the video for it! :) But I'll try to figure it out later in the afternoon.

Kind regards,
Andreas
Attachments
allseemswell.png
allseemswell.png (170.26 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions