MAXQDA quits unexpectedly

22.07.2018, 05:00

Hi all,

I've just purchased the license key after using MAXQDA for 2 weeks without problems. I'm doing line by line coding in an imported Word Doc at the moment (up 126 coded lines now), and MAXQDA has crashed 3 times over the past 3 hours. It seems to happen when I create a new code, it suddenly has some thinking time and then the program disappears. No error message appears, the work is saved (so I'm not panicking yet), and the only noticeable difference is that it seems a bit slower initially when I restart the program.

I'm not in edit mode, and have nothing else but Outlook and Microsoft Edge running on my computer at the moment.

Any ideas on what is happening here?
I'm using version: MAXQDA Standard 2018 (Release 18.0.8, Build 180503)

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
Mary86

Re: MAXQDA quits unexpectedly

23.07.2018, 10:09

Dear Mary86,
thanks for joining us, welcome to the MAXQDA Forum!

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)

Might this be the case here?
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

31.07.2018, 22:27

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your reply! MAXQDA is saved on the C drive, so I'm guessing that means it's not Cloud based, is it? Or did I misinterpret your reply? I finished the first lot of coding so haven't had a chance to see if things have improved.
Mary86

01.08.2018, 09:20

Hi Mary,

your installation is one thing (good that it's on C:\ though), but the main issue I was talking about is connected to the project file, where all of your data is stored (it has the ending .mx18, you usually select this one on startup). This one should not be directly opened from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

01.08.2018, 20:34

Hi Andreas

The .mx18 file Is on my desktop, strangely enough. As far as I know the desktop is not being synced with anything. I was hoping this was the case, as now we don't have a solution... :?

Edit: The documents folder seemed to be have set up to sync with OneDrive, and some MAXQDA files are stored there I see. I'll disable that and see if that makes a difference.
Mary86

03.08.2018, 02:18

Hi Andreas

MAXQDA is still crashing on me unfortunately. The memo writing worked well yesterday (after deleting outlook and merging my project as you recommended) but I haven't tried it again after it crashed again. I have updated all my drivers and software on my laptop, so I've got the latest Windows 10 version installed. My hard drive hibernation time is also set for longer than it now took the software to crash again. And all MAXQDA files are either on the Desktop (my project), in Program Files (the installed software) or in Documents (backup). It's a bit like I'm trying to code and MAXQDA gets overwhelmed and shuts down. Any advice? I'm a bit worried!
Mary86

06.08.2018, 09:39

Hi Mary,

thank you for all of the information! Hm yes, it looks like the file locations are not the issue here.. but not to worry, we'll find out what's going on here. First of all, it would be good to get the crashreports of those crashes – I'll send you an email shortly that describes how to send them to us.

The error likely falls into one of three categories:

1) If those crashes occur across multiple projects (e.g. in the example project as well): Something has gone wrong with the file where user settings are stored temporarily (or it's an error from 3) ). You can reset it and see if that helps:

1) Press the windows-key + R and enter the following path: %APPDATA%\MAXQDA2018
2) Delete the files "MAXQDA2018.ini" and (if existing) "MAXQDA2018.ini.LOCK"

This will not delete any of your data – only the list of recently opened projects will be cleared, window arrangements reset, and entered search terms in the lexical search will be deleted.

2) Something has gone wrong with the project file. In this case it would be the most direct way to send us the project file, so one of our experts can have a look. I'll send you a link to upload the file if this should be possible for you.

3) Something is wrong with MAXQDA/MAXQDA and your specific device. For this, we'll need the crashlog I mentioned before.

So I'll send you an email with further information and upload links.

If someone else should experience unexpected behaviour like this, please try out the solutions suggested above and/or contact us directly via the support form:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport#Kontaktieren

(You can upload project files/logs there and let us know about your OS, MAXQDA Version etc.)
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions