Changes to Existing MaxQDA 12 Portable Project Lost

19.09.2017, 22:31

Hope somebody has some suggestions, because I have lost a day's work!

I opened a previously created project, imported additional pdf files, created some new codes, and spent several hours coding. I closed the program while doing other work and when I reopened, saw that all of these changes were no longer in the project.

The new files were no longer in the project, but the original files were still there
The new codes were gone, but the original codes were still there
The new coding I had done (mainly in the existing files) was gone

Any suggestions on whether this is recoverable, or must I just start again with the new work?
:shock:
-M

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Changes to Existing MaxQDA 12 Portable Project Lost

20.09.2017, 10:12

Dear mloxton,

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. Yes, it might be possible to recover this data, but I can make no promises – sometimes recovering data works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll create a ticket for you in our support system after writing this message, and we'll take care of this as soon as possible. But we must also find out why this happened, so that we can prevent this in the future.. Have you saved your project on your USB-drive, or on the local hard drive? Since we just had something similar to this (see thread below), maybe we should consider to recommend saving the project file always to the local hard drive with a built-in-warning and warnings on our website... it doesn't happen often considering how many people do this, but if you ask me, one time is one time to many... I'll speak to my colleagues about this.
Kind regards,
Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

20.09.2017, 15:28

Thanks Andreas, much appreciated.
I just uploaded the file titled "quarterly summary jul-sep 2017.mx12"

-M
mloxton

02.10.2017, 14:47

Hi Andreas,
I found a cause/workaround - it seems that the problem only happens when the documents are dragged and dropped from their SharePoint location instead of imported.

The documents and the project I am using are all located on SharePoint, and I can replicate the problem by selecting multiple pdf documents on the SharePoint drive in the explorer view, and dragging them onto the Documents pane in MAXQDA 12 portable. There are no errors and the import seems normal, and I am able to add new codes or code sections. However, if I close the project and reopen, all those changes are lost.

If I import the documents through the Documents/Import Documents function, the software works as expected, and any session changes are retained.

Best
Matthew
mloxton

02.10.2017, 17:55

Dear Matthew,

thank you very much for sharing this information! I think it would have been almost impossible for us to find this out since we don't use SharePoint, that makes this information very valuable. I will forward it to our programmers, maybe they can build in a warning for SharePoint similar to the the ones we have for Dropbox/OneDrive etc.
Thank you again!
Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions