MAXQDA

Possible to crosstab using document sets?

17.03.2017, 20:09

I've organised my documents into lots of sets and would like to be able to crosstab codes with them the way I can with document variables. How would I go about doing this?

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
emmawinston

Re: Possible to crosstab using document sets?

19.03.2017, 21:43

Hi Emma,

this sounds like an interesting challenge, but I am not sure, if I understand your request correctly. Do you want to aggregate the frequencies of codes for document sets and then perform an analysis? Could you add some more information on your request?

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

20.03.2017, 13:52

Essentially, because of the way my survey was structured, several variables are aggregated into variable groups (which I have organised as document sets). The 'ethnicity' field was open, and I want, for instance, to be able to aggregate 'white', 'white British', 'white English' into one group, and 'mixed', 'mixed white-Asian' etcetera into another group, then to be able to compare crosstab codes for those two groups.

At the moment I am doing it by activating the documents in a given set, writing the results in the total column down by hand, then comparing them to the crosstabs for another set manually, which is obviously more time-consuming than I'd like.
emmawinston

20.03.2017, 15:40

Hi Emma,

I see the issue: you can export the variable matrix to Excel, add a column like "Ethnicity" and enter "white" for all documents in which one of the terms you want to integrate into the group, do apply.

Afterwards you delete all already existing columns in the Excel file and import the data again into your MAXQDA project file to add the new variables to your project. You can use the function "Mixed Methods > Crosstab" now to create a table with the number of coded segments differentiated by the groups you have defined in the variables.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to MAXQDA in Research