MAXQDA

Charting word frequency against document variables?

10.03.2017, 17:04

Hi,

I've been very pleased at how easy it is to chart word frequency using MaxDictio, but am looking to create a chart of frequency by variables (age, gender, ethnicity etcetera). I've been informed by the MaxQDA folks on Twitter that it's possible to do this and advised to request details on how to do so here - can anyone assist?

Many thanks,

Emma

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
emmawinston

Re: Charting word frequency against document variables?

14.03.2017, 11:26

Dear Emma,

You can use document sets to separate MAXDictio results by document variables.

Document sets can be used to create and save a grouping of documents. While each document can only be in one document group, it can be in as many document sets as you wish, because document sets are only made up of shortcuts to the documents.

To create document sets by variables please use the function "Activate via document variable" from MAXQDA's Mixed Methods menu and select the option "Activate and create" set.

More information: https://www.maxqda.com/support/help/maxq ... rtheco.htm

After creating specific sets by variables you can decide to separate word frequencies, word combinations, Category Matrix Browser and other MAXDictio features by document sets.

All the best for your analysis and best regards in behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Malte Hilker
Malte Hilker
Manager Product Development & Evaluation, MAXQDA team
Malte Hilker

14.03.2017, 20:23

Thanks, this is very helpful!

Is it possible to create document sets by variables which contain a certain string? My 'ethnicity' field was an open text-box, and I would like to be able to group, for instance, 'white british' and 'white european' in order to place them into the same set. Is this doable?
emmawinston

15.03.2017, 14:31

Dear Emma,

you can combine different values of a specific variable to create a set. Just open the "Activate by document variable" window, drag a variable twice into the right column, select booth values and make sure that the conditions are combined with "OR" to include booth values into one set.

Best regards in behalf of the MAXQDA team
Malte
Attachments
Screenshot_activate_by_variable.png
Example
Screenshot_activate_by_variable.png (26.5 KiB) Viewed 23080 times
Malte Hilker
Manager Product Development & Evaluation, MAXQDA team
Malte Hilker

27.04.2017, 14:22

You can go for google it
juliakate

Return to MAXQDA in Research