Working with Arabic texts

14.09.2016, 19:57

In my project I'm working with Arabic texts, i.e. I'm interviewing people in Arabic and transcribing it.
I had three problems:
1. MAXQDA crashed every 10 to 20 minutes.
2. Entering Arabic text incredible sluggish - need to wait up to 5 seconds after each letter
3. MAXQDA keeps changing back to English keyboard while typing in Arabic

For the first two I found a solution: I installed the unicode font Thabit (link below) and changed the font from Arial to Thabis. Now MAXQDA does not crash anymore and the responsive while typing is also almost normal.

For the third problem I have not found a solution expect for "pushing" an Arabic letter in front of the cursor. As soon as the cursor is the last thing in a line it switches back to English.

Link for unicode font Thabit:

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 8
Posts: 2
Joined: 01.10.2015, 10:51

Re: Working with Arabic texts

22.09.2016, 13:19

Dear kuku.nonen,

We are happy to hear, that the issues one and two could be solved. I am not very experienced in transcribing Arabic speech so I kindly ask you to contact our online support team, and report issue 3:

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker
Posts: 254
Joined: 12.02.2007, 10:18

Return to Technical Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest