MAXQDA

Fix menu issues that inhibit using Keyboard Shortcuts

Moderator: srueger

Fix menu issues that inhibit using Keyboard Shortcuts

17.05.2017, 05:58

I've run into a number of issues trying to optimize MAXQDA with Keyboard Shortcuts on the Mac. I'm going to be doing a LOT of data entry, and would really like to set things up to be able to work as efficiently as possible.

In the View menu,
[code:3dfm5wa3]Retrieved Segments[/code:3dfm5wa3]
has two spaces between the words.
Please correct it to use a single space.

I discovered this after some trial-and-error while trying to add Keyboard Shortcuts on MacOS, which requires the exact spelling of the menu item.

Beyond this, there are a lot of inconsistencies in capitalization in menu items, e.g. the Mixed methods menu includes [b:3dfm5wa3]Similarity analysis for documents[/b:3dfm5wa3] and [b:3dfm5wa3]Cluster Analysis for Documents[/b:3dfm5wa3]. It just looks sloppy, which isn't what one expects from a $500 piece of software.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
Last edited by derickfay on 18.05.2017, 06:22, edited 2 times in total.
derickfay

Re: Fix typo in Mac menu

18.05.2017, 06:10

Also - because "Data editor" appears twice on the Variables menu, once under Document variables and once under Code variables, it's impossible to assign different keyboard shortcuts to each of the items. The established technique ( see https://www.macstories.net/mac/make-key ... same-name/ ) doesn't work if the duplicate items are under the same menu. So it's only possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to Document variables, not Code variables :(
derickfay

Re: Fix menu issues that inhibit using Keyboard Shortcuts

18.05.2017, 06:20

"Overview of variables" appears in the document context menu (when you right-click on a document) but it's nowhere in the main program menu (in the menu bar). This means there is no way to create a keyboard shortcut for this very useful feature :( .

Same is true for "Color" , "Intersections" , and "Properties", probably others.
derickfay

Re: Fix menu issues that inhibit using Keyboard Shortcuts

18.05.2017, 06:30

Really, there are a lot of essential features that are only found in toolbars and context menus, where they can't be controlled with the keyboard, e.g.

activating and resetting codes & documents (which is a pretty basic feature....)

Seriously, the only way to activate a document is hitting that tiny circle or right-clicking and using a context menu? Am I missing a hidden shortcut somewhere?
derickfay

Return to Feature Requests