Table improvements

28.05.2014, 11:52

The table functionality in MAXQDA is useful, but could be improved.

Firstly, it should be possible to code whole cells without first highlighting all the text within them. This could also be extended to coding whole rows or columns.

Secondly, it is very important to be able to add or delete rows and columns. In particular, adding rows is crucial. This is because often a spreadsheet will be imported as a table, but data will need to be added to the table at a later date. At present there is no way to do this without deleting the document and adding it again - losing all coding in the process (aaargh!). Alternatively, a separate table could be created, leading to data fragmentation.
johnkingeu

Re: Table improvements

28.05.2014, 14:17

Hi,

we see the need for these improvements and will add them to our list of feature requests.

A workaround for adding columns to the right part of the table could be this way:

1. Export the table document (via Export button or via right click on the document)

2. Right click on the document group, where the document is located and choose "Teamwork Export" to export the coding information

3. Add columns to the exported table (you have to add them at the right side) and re-import the Excel file into MAXQDA

4. Right click on the document group and choose "Teamwork Import". In the dialog choose the correct sources and targets and re-import the coding information

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

28.05.2014, 14:50

Thanks Stefan,

There is another workaround, which is to add lots of spare rows (with 'N/A' in the cells) to any spreadsheet before it is imported - these can then be edited. But these workarounds are hacky!

One more feature request for Tables - when I open a table in the document browser, it forgets where I am and the sort order. MAXQDA should remember the position in the table and remember the sort order.

Many thanks - overall I am enjoying my new MAXQDA for Mac!
johnkingeu

30.05.2014, 08:48

We have added this to the list of improvements! Thanks for this .. Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Feature Requests