MAXQDA

Feature Request: Crosstab on Retrieved Segments

Moderator: srueger

Feature Request: Crosstab on Retrieved Segments

22.02.2018, 10:21

Dear all,

Is it possible to generate a crosstab on retrieved segments from a complex coding query?

I can easily generate a crosstab on retrieved segments of a simple coding query by using the "Activated Codes" option in the crosstab window, but it would be very useful to generate a crosstab of the results of a complex coding query.

For example, I have a segment of text that is coded as both "Category 1\Code A" and "Category 2\[one or more of various codes]".

I can retrieve coded segments that are coded as both "Category 1\Code A" and "Category 2\[various codes]".

I would then like to generate a crosstab of the "Category 2\[various codes]", ie, producing a crosstab that shows me all of the "Category 2\[various codes]" that are also coded as "Category 1\Code A".

In my mind I can see this being done by adding an option to the crosstab window for "only retrieved segments" which can be used at the same time as "only for activated codes" (however this would also require the ability to "lock" the retrieved segments so they do not disappear when codes in the code system are deselected to set up the crosstab table); or by integrating a complex coding query option into the crosstab setup window.

Hopefully I have made sense, because I think this could be a very useful feature. Perhaps there is another way to the same solution that I am unaware of.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)
caledavis

Re: Feature Request: Crosstab on Retrieved Segments

22.02.2018, 11:38

Dear caledavis,

thanks for telling us about your case and the idea for extending the crosstab! I can see how an option "Only for retrieved segments" would be useful. As a workaround, you could also code the results of the "Retrieved Segments"-windows with a new code (it's the seventh symbol from the left at the top of the "Retrieved Segments"-window), and then only activate this one. But I can see how it would be faster to have this option integrated, so I'll forward this suggestion to our development team.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

Re: Feature Request: Crosstab on Retrieved Segments

23.02.2018, 11:16

Dear Andreas,

Great news! Thanks for passing the suggestion on. I think I can better clarify what I am trying to do, so the development team understands (my original post may be a little unclear).

Assume I have the following code system:

—Parent Code A
——Child Code A.1
——Child Code A.2
—Parent Code B
——Child Code B.1
——Child Code B.2
——Child Code B.3
——Child Code B.4

I can run a complex coding query to show me all codes of Parent Code B that are coded with one or both of Child Code A.1 and/or Child Code A.2.

I cannot generate a crosstab of these resulting codes (thus far, the problem is clear I think).

What I would like to do is generate a crosstab of *all* Child Codes of Parent Code B, using *only* the results of the complex coding query (this is where the problem becomes a bit more complex).

The reason for wanting to use all Child Codes of Parent Code B (rather than just those returned by the complex coding query) is it makes exporting the data to Excel and integrating it with data from simple coding queries in the same sheet much easier, as row numbering will be maintained.

For example, a simple coding query crosstab, with Parent Code B and all Child Codes selected would output data for:
—Parent Code B
——Child Code B.1
——Child Code B.2
——Child Code B.3
——Child Code B.4

If, however, the complex coding query returns only Child Code B.1 and Child Code B.3, what would be annoying is for the crosstab to output data for only:
——Child Code B.1
——Child Code B.3
Because copying and pasting the output results into Excel would require inserting a row after Child Code B.1 and a row after Child Code B.3 to maintain the same row structure for a simple coding query crosstab generated with Parent Code B and all its Child Codes selected.

This is where I think it would be useful for:

1. The user to be able to run a complex coding query;
  2. The user to be able to open the crosstab setup window;
  3. The user to be able to then 'lock' the results of the complex coding query, tick "Only for activated codes", and select all Child Codes of Parent Code B, *therefore not modifying the results of the complex coding query*;
  4. The user then to be able to generate a crosstab of all Child Codes of Parent Code B, using only the data returned by the complex coding query.

The critical part, from my perspective, is Step 3 above: the ability to select the codes for the crosstab rows without changing the complex coding query results.

Hopefully I've made my suggestion clearer for the developers!
caledavis

Return to Feature Requests