MAXQDA

Use standard Mac text selection behavior

07.11.2017, 00:22

MacOS has many built in shortcuts for text selection with mouse and keyboard - see https://www.cultofmac.com/138782/select ... os-x-tips/ for some examples.

Unfortunately MaxQDA seems to use a non-native PDF handler which doesn't respect the built-in functionality users expect.

Given that much of what initial coding involves is text selection, I'd expect it would be a priority.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
derickfay

Re: Use standard Mac text selection behavior

08.11.2017, 12:12

Dear derickfay,

thank you for your recommondation. I have forwarded it together with this one:

https://www.maxqda.com/support/forum/vie ... 2448#p2448

to be taken into account for the next overhaul in regard to keyboard shortcuts/text selection etc.

And thank you again very much for your overall activity! I wish we could program as fast as we collect feedback, but unfortunately, such things take a little time. But I have it in the back of my head because I also love keyboard shortcuts and usability is one of MAXQDA's major assets, so I know there is definetly high interest in that. I hope you don't get frustrated if those changes takes some time nonetheless.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

Re: Use standard Mac text selection behavior

17.11.2017, 15:45

Thanks. Another issue that is probably related to the above is the handling of new lines in PDFs.

If I open a PDF in Preview on the Mac, I can copy several paragraphs and paste into a text editor, and there will only be new lines at the end of the paragraphs.

If I open the same PDF in MaxQDA, I can copy several paragraphs, but when I paste into a text editor, there is a new line at the end of every line.

It can be fixed with a find and replace (or by using Preview and finding the same passage identified in MaxQDA) but both interrupt writing workflow. I'd expect that opening a PDF in MaxQDA wouldn't change the line endings like this.

e.g. pasted from Preview:

In this chapter, I have elected to replace the conventionally used term ‘customary law’ with ‘vernacular law’. The main reason is simple: ‘customary law’ carries too much baggage from the colonial era when, as Martin Chanock has argued, the very thing was invented (Chanock 2001, 295).

pasted from MaxQDA:

In this chapter, I have elected to replace the conventionally used term ‘customary
law’ with ‘vernacular law’. The main reason is simple: ‘customary law’ carries too
much baggage from the colonial era when, as Martin Chanock has argued, the very
thing was invented (Chanock 2001, 295).

thanks again
Derick
derickfay

Return to Feature Requests