MAXQDA

Dating Documents

05.10.2017, 12:38

Hello,
There must be a simple solution to my question, but I couldn't find it in previous discussions.

I am using MAXqda for historical research, and it is important for me to set the date in which documents were created (Months and years. Sometimes days). I would like to be able to search for documents created within a specific month in a specific year.

I suppose this should be done through "Document Variables". Is there any straightforward way for doing this?

Thanks for you help.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
ariek

Re: Dating Documents

05.10.2017, 13:41

Hello,

indeed there is! First, open the "List of Document Variables" (in the menu under "Variables"). Then, add a new variable (fifth button from the left) and choose "Date" as the variable type. Two buttons further to the left you can switch to the "data editor", where you can then enter the respective dates. You could also import them from an excel table. More about this topic can be found here:

https://www.maxqda.com/max12-tutorial/j- ... -variables

To retrieve documents for a certain date, you need to use a feature called "activate by document variables" (in the menu under "Mixed Methods", or the second button from the right at the top of the "List of Documents"). To activate all documents before the 10/5/2017 for example, just enter "< 10/5/2017" as a condition.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Andreas V.

06.10.2017, 17:06

A Very helpful response!
Thanks.
ariek

06.10.2017, 17:08

One more follow up question:
Is there a way to edit document variables straight from the document?
For example, right-click a document, without having to open to variable list and finding the correct document etc.?
Thanks again.
ariek

09.10.2017, 09:49

Well, the fastest way to add a document variable is to click on the the data editor icon at the top, which you can see here:

https://www.maxqda.com/support/help/maxq ... editor.htm

And then to quickly find a document, you simply click on a cell in the column "document name" and start typing the respective documents name. Then it will jump directly to this document, and you can enter the values.
Andreas V.

Return to MAXQDA in Research