Smart Report with Summary Grid Report?

23.05.2016, 20:05

I'm using MAXQDA 12 on a MAC and need to produce reports in a Word
document that show the coded segments along with the summary grids.

Basically I need a "Smart Report" that includes the related summary grid or a
Summary grid in Word without the "code system"

I've looked through the Quote Matrix but I was only able to produce the coded quotes no summary.

Is there a way of doing this or some kind of work around?

Thank you in advance

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
jax

Re: Smart Report with Summary Grid Report?

25.05.2016, 05:11

Jax -

I had a similar requirement a few months ago (I'm using the Windows version).

The only method I found was to export the summary grid, and then to separately export the coded segments, then manually combine them by copying and pasting. To be honest I found the summary grid, exported to Excel, a better organising device for sharing my work with my supervisors, so I did that first and then copied and pasted coded segments into the Excel document. If you have high numbers of coded segments then this might not be the best method, since Excel has a limit to the number of characters per cell and it's hard to then review the coded segments and the summaries at the same time.

In the end, after a few repetitions, I realised that my supervisors were more interested in the summaries than the coded segments, so I ended up relying more on the export of the summary grid. But you may have differing requirements.

Stefan and the team from MAXQDA may also be able to shed light on better alternatives, that I'm not aware of.

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

27.05.2016, 20:14

Thanks Justin

That's what I did except that I copied and pasted into Word since my coded segments are too long for Excel and my supervisor only uses Word docx.

I'd hoped there was a more time efficient way, since my colleagues keep telling me that all my fancy schmancy programs are a waste of time and I should just work in Word (transcribe, code and summarize all in Word docx), as I'm about to upgrade to the version 12 I was beginning to wonder...

Thanks again
jax

28.05.2016, 04:04

Jax -

There are many benefits to using QDA software over using Word. It is certainly possible to do full analysis in Word but in my own project I've found MAXQDA to be superior. My examples include: comparing men and women, or part-time versus work from home, for various codes and subcodes; doing a word count of my speech versus participant speech, per interview; looking at which participants talked about 'ladder' as a metaphor for career and then comparing their perceptions of career success. Now, all of this is possible in Word too, but you'd be working much less efficiently. I think of it is using a bicycle to get from A to B (= Microsoft Word) versus using a fine German automobile (= MAXQDA).

The last thing I want to add is that I did advanced MAXQDA training, not just the introductory stuff. That helped me to see new and innovative ways to use the tool, over and above the functions that are equivalent to using Microsoft Word.

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

Return to MAXQDA in Research