How to code separately responses to multiples questions

19.07.2014, 09:18

Hi,

I have 6 questions in my interviews and I'd want to know what's the best way to code into Maxqda in order to have codes that relate to each specific questions and not the questionnaire globally.

Mnay thanks for your help.

Christophe
telepro64

Re: How to code separately responses to multiples questions

29.07.2014, 15:11

Hi Christophe,

this sounds like having six main codes for the questions would be a suitable way. You could use these code as "wide" thematic codes that mark the parts of the interviews where the main topics. Then you can activate all documents and one of these six codes and start to refine the topics into subcodes.

But at least your research question, and maybe already existing hypotheses should lead the construction of the code system in the end.

Hope this helps. Best regards from the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

10.08.2014, 23:02

Many thanks Stefan for your answer :D

Finally, i'm not going to separate the questions to code them.

But my problem is i have four groups (with twenty subjects for each) in my study and i'd want to use the constant comparison method to compare themes of these groups.

Before starting coding interviews, how could i organize that so that i be able at the end of coding to compare themes between the 4 groups ? Can i insert all interviews in the same project ? How to distingish them ?

Thanks for your help ?

Christophe
telepro64

11.08.2014, 10:18

Hi Christophe,

if you have four groups in your study the best would be to integrate them all in one project and create a "Document Group" for each group in the Document System of MAXQDA. Each Document Group should contain the 20 documents of the subjects.

To compare constantly and finally you may use the tool "Visual Tools > Code Matrix Browser". If you start this tool you can choose to display "Document Groups" in the columns and the tool will display the activated codes (or all codes) in the output. If you double click on a visualized square MAXQDA lists all the associated coded segments in the Retrieved Segments window.

Please click on the info button in the Code Matrix Browser for detailled information about this tool.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to MAXQDA in Research