MAXQDA

How to organize data for 16 cases, three media each?

08.07.2019, 09:38

Hi,

I haven't found the solution for the simple problem: I interviewed 16 people (cases). For each of them I have three media: a video recorded (video file), an independent audio (audio file), and results of the survey (excel file). I want to "merge" these three different media - mp4, mp3 and xls for each case, in order to easy sort them out later; e.g. all women, or all heavy users etc., when analysing codes later. Which is the best way to organize it all around cases and analyse then either case by case, or group of cases by another group, or codes by codes (topics by topics)?

I used to be quantitative researcher using SPSS, so I understand that is may be somehow basic or inadequate question :) Anyway - please help me to organize the data properly for further analysis.

Best regards,
Michal

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
MiDe

Re: How to organize data for 16 cases, three media each?

21.10.2019, 10:19

Hi MiDe,

This answer might be too late for you but maybe this question applies to other research projects as well.
It is not possible to merge a video, audio, and table together into one file, but I can think of two solutions to group them:

The easiest solution would be to create a document group for each case and store all three data sources within this folder. Most tools in MAXQDA can be used with document groups instead of single documents, and it would make activating all elements of a case easier.

Another solution would be to use the document variables and create a case variable, then e.g. number your cases. Now you can use the variables to activate all documents with "case = 1". But overall the document group solution might be easier to use.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Gerson
MAXQDA Team
Julia Gerson

Return to MAXQDA in Research