MAXQDA

Aggregate codes and count only once at parent level

26.06.2018, 10:16

How can I "aggregate" the subcodes to the parent code and to count the parent code only once for a document, ignoring how often a subcode or the parent code has been assigend to the document?

(This question is also the end of topic: https://www.maxqda.com/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=717
but I started a new topic, because this is what I would like to do)

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
Loekarin

Re: Aggregate codes and count only once at parent level

26.06.2018, 14:02

Dear Loekarin,

thank you for your question and welcome to the MAXQDA forum!

How can I "aggregate" the subcodes to the parent code

To aggregate the number of codings for the subcodes of a code, you just need to collapse the parent code. Then the total number of codings for this parent code will be displayed. This works both in the "Code System"-window and in the "Code Matrix Browser" (see my next answer)

and to count the parent code only once for a document

For this, use the "Code Matrix Browser" in the "Visual Tools"-tab. It'll show you how often a code appears in each document. Both the options at the beginning and the symbol bar in the following result window will allow you to "Count hits per document only once" (fourth button from the right).

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas V.

01.07.2018, 20:37

Hello Andreas,

Yes, in the testfile it does.
But in our project we have about 1000 documents, and about 2000 codes and that seems to much for MAXQDA.. so the program crashes (again)...

Karin
Loekarin

02.07.2018, 09:51

Dear Karin,

thank you for your feedback. We are not aware of any issues in regard to this feature, and a few thousand documents or codes should definitely not lead to any limitations whatsoever. Might it be possible for you to send us your project file? If so, I'll send you a link to upload your project file. We would then try to reproduce this error here.

Does MAXQDA crash repeatedly when you collapse a parent code? Are there any other crashes/errors like that? Do you open your project file from an usb-stick, external hard drive, network folder, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized by a cloud service?

One common cause for all kinds of issues results from not opening the project file from a local hard drive, but from a network ressource, USB-stick, external hard drive, or from a folder that's being kept synchronized with a cloud service. Since MAXQDA is a database program, all changes get saved automatically. If however the connection gets interrupted, this can lead to errors in the database structure. This is why we strongly recommend to always open the project file from a local hard drive. (You can save it anywhere you want of course, this is just about opening.)
Andreas V.

09.07.2018, 19:46

Hello Andreas,

Can you email me the upload link. I tried again, but I can not create the 'code matrix browser', then the program crashes.

Are you the same Andreas I have emailed with before? Because then you already know the answers to your other questions (such as that I work locally).
Loekarin

Return to MAXQDA in Research