MAXQDA

Using MAXQDA for Peer Review

12.02.2018, 22:06

Not sure why I had never thought of it before, but today I cut a third of the time needed to perform a review for a journal paper.

I imported the document to be reviewed, created a code for "edits" and one for "questions", and then reviewed the paper in the MAXQDA viewer pane and coded segments in the paper accordingly. I added my comments or suggestions for the author by using alt-shift-M to insert a memo for the selection.

I then activated the codes and the document, and used the Reports "Export Retrieved Segments" including memos to generate an Excel sheet. I edited the sheet to have only the Segment, Begin, End, and Memo columns, and did a "replace all" to remove my name. (could have done that when I created the memos, but didn't think that far ahead).

This was a far easier and faster process to conduct a peer review and submit it than previous times, so I am very happy with the result.

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Windows 10
mloxton

Re: Using MAXQDA for Peer Review

13.02.2018, 16:22

Thank you, that's very nice to hear! We've just noticed recently that on the one hand, MAXQDA is very well suited to help conducting literature/peer reviews, but on the other hand, many of our users never got the idea about using MAXQDA for this particular use case. That's why we produced a PDF-guide about it last year:

https://www.maxqda.com/maxqda-literature-reviews-reference-management-software

I hope others share in your positive experience. Thank you for telling us about it!
Andreas V.

Return to MAXQDA in Research