MAXQDA

Setting variables for individuals with multiple documents

Setting variables for individuals with multiple documents

21.04.2021, 22:00

I have a question about organizing my data so I can used a mixed method analysis and although I've watched the video tutorials and read the online manual, I can't figure out the best way. I've done this in other software but not sure of the approach in MaxQDA as I'm a new user.

I have 60 individuals that have provided reflections at five points in time - this is NOT focus groups but individual reflections - so a total of 300 documents with 5 documents from each individual. I also have pre and post test scores and other categories that I want to analyze (ie. age) in the mixed methods.

My main issue is with adding quantitative information for the participants. How do I associate variables such as age for each participant? Since the variables are associated with an individual document, it seems like this information would then be replicated for each document from that participant, which can then bias the analysis. So, in other words, it would look like I have five people who are 21 years old, when I only have one person who is 21 years old but I have 5 documents from this person.

I also read about internal linking and thought this might be an option but it seems like I would have the same issue and there is very little information on links.

Any advice? Thanks for your help.

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Mac OS X 11.0 (Big Sur)
mrathburn

Re: Setting variables for individuals with multiple document

23.07.2021, 09:23

I also have a similar issue and require help. I am doing a content analysis of company sustainability reports and some companies have more than one report. Therefore, although I have indicated for each document the relevant variables (company name, country, sector) and codes, it is the same situation as it appears that there are multiple companies from a country. I would like to be able to review the results of code frequencies only by companies, not by individual documents. Surely there is a way to do this by making some sort of parent variable or something.

I will be very grateful for any assistance.
katelino78

Return to MAXQDA in Research