Focus groups sections not coded

29.08.2017, 13:24

Hi all,

Im importing focus groups in MAXQDA and encounter a problem with the following:

"Sections of text at the beginning of the transcript (in which no colon occurs within 63 characters)
will not be coded. This provides the opportunity for you to include a title and general information
about the focus group for easy recognition"

It happens in my focus groups that my participants sometimes answer in very short scentences (less than 63 characters). Of course I want this to be coded also. Anybody can help?

My solution so far is typing random words at the end of a very (less then 63) short scentence to make it long enough. Then import the focus group in MAXQDA and thereafter delete those random words within MAXQDA itsself.. But that is very devious...I hope anybody can help!!

Thanks

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
Florrie

Re: Focus groups sections not coded

31.08.2017, 09:02

Hi Florrie,

assuming that every paragraph starts with the name of the participant, you can use the lexical search (under "Analysis") to autocode those paragraphs. Simply search for the participants name, and then choose "Autocode with existing code" and select the respective focus group participant's code (you need to have clicked on it once so that it is in the quick bar). Then you can select to code the whole paragraph, in which this code appears, at the bottom of the options window. (Since the other ones are already coded, that will only code those paragraphs which are too short).

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions