Loading a Dictionary from Excel

13.06.2017, 17:00

hello,

I found the "Managing Dictionaries" documents and am trying to load a new dictionary based on a file I created in excel.

I selected load dictionary and navigated to the excel spreadsheet I created with "category", "search terms" , etc columns. In the first row of the "category" column, I entered "storytelling" all else are "storytelling\race". In total, there are 459 terms in the "search term". I entered a 1 in the "only exact matches" column. All other columns are blank.

The issue arises when I navigate to this excel spreadsheet and load it. All that appears in my dictionary are the "storytelling" and "storytelling\race" category values. My dictionary has no terms in it.

What am I missing here? Are there special symbols I need to put around the search terms in order for them to load?

Many thanks!

Brielle

Version: MAXQDA 11
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
smithiephd06

Re: Loading a Dictionary from Excel

15.06.2017, 17:00

Dear Brielle,

thank you for contacting us! That's an easy one: the second column must be named "Search item", not "Search term". I would recommend that you create your own dictionary by exporting an empty dictionary first – that way you get an excel-table where all the columns have already the right names.

Kind regards,

Andreas
MAXQDA Support Team
Andreas V.

Return to Technical Questions