External files reference

23.03.2017, 07:50

Ive added dozen of videos in MaxQDA. They were dragged and dropped into the application (Mac), and usually from different folders. It looks like they all did get copied into the Externals folder, but in the Document System, clicking any video files tries to reference the original folder (which has since been deleted), so I get an error that the file cant be found. Why arent the files referencing the Externals folder? Also, how can I easily fix this? Ive always had the External folder set under the Preferences.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
FredS

Re: External files reference

25.03.2017, 12:46

Hi FredS,

this sounds indeed strange. You are right, during imoport the files are copied into the folder for externally stored files.

When accessing an external file in MAXQDA, it checks three locations for the external files:
1. Original folder
2. Externals folder
3. Folder where project file is saved

If MAXQDA cannot find the external file, it seems that it cannot find the file in any of the folders. I suggest to check the settings for the external folders and if nothing helps, it would be necessary to contact the support team and add some screenshots of the folders and the external settings.

Hope this helps,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

22.06.2017, 15:31

I realized that I had 2 different folders labeled "Externals" so I combined them. Now, when I try to open some of the files I get the error message:
"PDF file or image file not found. Please check the path for the externally stored file."
I went to fix the path under "Properties" (of the document), but cannot. The "original path" field is greyed out so I cannot modify it, and when I added the new path under "External links 1" it did not fix the problem.
Please help
Thanks, Elana
eshever

25.06.2017, 17:15

Hi Elana,

you could try to enter the new path in the global setting "Folder for externally stored files", which is available at "MAXQDA12 > Preferences ..." (Mac) or "Project > Preferences ..." (Windows).

Here is a link to a screenshot:
http://www.maxqda.com/en/support/help/m ... rences.htm

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions