What's the best way to architect your project for video?

28.07.2016, 18:17

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with using video directly in MaxQDA. But these files are obviously very large -- too large for my computer hard drive -- and I tend to keep video on my external hard drive (encrypted of course). What's the best way to design your MaxQDA project file using video?

I have changed the external files folder to be one on my external HD. And I've added a few videos, though not many. I'm really scared of crashing the system! The project file lives on my computer hard drive, which works just fine. What happens when you add videos that live on an external HD? What's the best way to specify the external files folder?

Without knowing how MaxQDA is really architected, it's hard to know the best way to do this without crashing or somehow making a mistake you cannot recover from.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
sladner

Re: What's the best way to architect your project for video?

28.07.2016, 22:07

Clarification: I'm running MaxQDA on Mac
sladner

Re: What's the best way to architect your project for video?

31.07.2016, 19:08

Hello sladner,

it is no problem to save the videos on an external hard drive and define the folder as the folder for externally stored files in MAXQDA. This is a typical way to architect a project with video files.

Sometimes we suggest to save the videos locally on the hard drive because this may speed up the loading process for a video, but if your external drive is not comparable to a 10 years old slow car, everything should work fine ;-).

Hope this information helps. Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions