MaxDictio: cannot reconcile total wordcount vs count by code

29.04.2016, 01:34

Hello experts -

I have a project with 54 interview transcripts, plus a range of additional documents. I am trying to work out the ratio of word count for my speech (as interviewer) to the word count of the participant, for each document. I used MaxDictio as follows:

- activate single document
- click MaxDictio > Frequencies > Only for activated document
- Click OK.

The results show that my first document has 10389 words total.

Then I tried to use the MaxDictio coder to count the words per segment. I used lexical search and autocode to code all my paragraphs with a unique code (the paragraphs all begin with Justin:); and I used lexical search and autocode to code all the participant's paragraphs with a unique code. Thus the entire document is coded with either my code or with the participant's code. Then I used MaxDictio coder as follows:

- activate the same document
- click MaxDictio > MaxDictio Coder > set Level = 1; set Only for activated documents = Yes; select my code and the participant's code from the code list
- Click OK.

The results show that my code contains 2385 words and the participants code contains 4789 words, giving a total of 7174 words. This is different from the result for the word frequency count above—there are 3215 words missing in the second count.

So: I expect the total word count to be identical, since all paragraphs in the document are coded (either Justin or the participant name). Am I using the tool incorrectly, or did I misunderstand the functionality, or is there a genuine error with the word counting? All advice appreciated!

Warmest regards,

Justin

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10

##########
Update:
I looked over the MaxDictio menu and realised that I had a stop list in place. I removed the stop list and repeated the procedure. Now I have a slightly different mismatch.

1. When I count for a single document, using MaxDictio > Word frequencies, the word count is 10389. I note for this function, I can include or exclude the stop list.
2. When I count at level 0, using my two specific codes, using MaxDictio > MaxDictio Coder, the word count is 10389. I note for this function, the stop list is automatically used and cannot be turned off—you can only set the stop list to blank if you don't want to use it.
3. When I count at level 1, using my two specific codes, using MaxDictio > MaxDictio Coder, the word count is 3601 for my words and 6881 for the participant's words, giving a total of 10482. Count #3 is 93 words greater than count #1 and count #2.

So: why is the word count using level 1 codes slightly different from the word count using level 0 codes? All advice appreciated, second time lucky!
~Justin
justinfield5

Re: MaxDictio: cannot reconcile total wordcount vs count by

04.05.2016, 16:33

Hi Justin,

I think the difference occurs because not the whole interview is coded: if you count on level 0 the whole interview will be taken into account - if you count on level 1, only the coded segments on the highest level of the code system will be analyzed.

Does this help? Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

04.05.2016, 23:03

Stefan -

Thank you for this reply. In my case, when I count at Level 1, the word count is higher, not lower. If the system were only counting coded segments then I would expect fewer words, not more. Also, I ensured that I coded the entire document with either a segment for my speech or a segment for the participant's speech. So therefore all paragraphs and words should be included in the level 0 count and in the level 1 count.

Is there any detailed way of troubleshooting this problem? Is there any way of seeing what words are being counted at level 1? I checked the validate.rtf file and it shows the coded segments as expected—I'll check again in case I missed anything.

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

05.05.2016, 19:15

Justin -

hm, I think the best would be to have a look at the project to clarify this. I see two options:

1. you could upload the project to our online support formula and address your request to my name: http://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport (at the bottom of the page)

2. you could suggest time and date to share your screen. In this case I would ask you to send me a short message via the online suport formula, too. I will be available on Friday May 5th from 9 am to 5 pm Berlin time.

Looking forward to hearing from you what suits you best - of course I am open for alternatives.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

06.05.2016, 07:48

Justin -

I have to extend my first answer and I think this should make the issuse clear: If you choose "Level 1" all segments of top level codes will be analyzed. If two codes of them overlap you may get higher word counts because some words are counted twice or more often.

Does this already help?
Best,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

07.05.2016, 00:11

Stefan -

Ah! That does help. Thank you for your offer of helping out. I believe I have found the issue. Though I expected that I had exclusively coded paragraphs either 'Justin' or 'participant', I found two paragraphs that have both codes. Thus, using the explanation that you provided, those two paragraphs will be counted twice at Level 1, giving a higher word count.

I will adjust the coding to have exclusive paragraphs (only 'Justin' or only 'participant') then perform the counting methods again.

Kindest regards

Justin

### UPDATE
Well, as ever, it's never the software, it's user error. I identified two errors in my coding (which I thought had been correct, but clearly was not). 1. I had two paragraphs that were double coded. 2. I had another one paragraph that was uncoded. When I fixed these errors, the word count matches exactly (of course!). Thank you Stefan for your help and guidance.
~Justin
justinfield5

09.05.2016, 10:32

Justin -

so, this was an extended way of intracoder agreement check :wink:
I am happy to hear, that you could figure this out.

Best Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions