HELP all my work deleted -Restoring corrupted project file

08.04.2016, 10:06

Hi There

I had a horrible dataloss yesterday and my main MAXQDA PhD project along with my ordinary maxqda backups and home user in the OS was deleted :oops:
By pure luck MAXQDA saved backup versions of major project revisions to my google drive, I thus have a version of my project from 25. march this year. I was able to run a backup software where I have recovered what seems to be a big zip file of the same size as my project. I tried unzipping the file without succes and also renaming the extension to ".mx12 However maxqda says that the file is corrupted. Is there any way to recover parts of such a file, and is this something the maxteam could support me in?

Kind Regards
Peter

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
hibmathbergen

Re: HELP all my work deleted -Restoring corrupted project fi

08.04.2016, 12:38

Hi Peter,

Of course we will try to help you to restore your MAXQDA file and kindly ask you to send your file to our online support team: www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

Could you please add a detailled explanation what happened to your files on your computer, maybe this helps to restore the file? Did your drive have a hardware crash? I am not sure if I understand correctly what happened to your files.

Do you have a backup of your project file, e.g. a Time Machine backup? MAXQDA doesn't save a backup copy in Google Drive automatically, only if you have set a Google Drive folder as the folder for automatically backups.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

08.04.2016, 13:25

Hi Stefan

I was deleting a file from the externals folder. When i emptied the trash on my computer I lost my OS X user data including my maxqda files. I must somehow at some point in time have moved my user folder to the trash :oops: I do have a timemachine backup, but it dates back to december. I rely mostly on google drive backups, I have all my files here. Sadly my main project file was in my document folder located with in the user folder that was deleted. This was unfortunately not recoverable. My project backupfiles are stored in my google drive I thought, but I can only find what I think are backups from when I have imported teamwork files into my project and not MAQDAs regular backups.
The backup I am talking about is one of these backups, they have a date extension to the regular project file name eg instead of being PhD.mx12 they are called PhD_20160325-210146.mx12.

My project file is larger than 10 Mb so I can't upload it. If I was able to upload it I would like to upload the most recent version along with files that I think are candidates for being the most recent project file. How do I proceed?

Thank you so much
Peter
hibmathbergen

08.04.2016, 14:28

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the additional descriptions. I forgot to mention that we provide an upload link for big files, after you have send your request via the online support fomula.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions