text right-aligned in doc browser, reversed full stop on mac

19.03.2016, 17:56

Hi,

I'm new to this software and new to macs so not sure what is happening. When I imported a normal looking, left-aligned focus group transcript copied off the internet to MAXQDA12, it appeared in the document browser sort of reversed. It still reads left to right but is right-aligned and the final line of each paragraph has the final punctuation mark at the beginning of the line, instead of the end. Very peculiar.

The text I'm talking about was copied off the internet starting at the bottom of the page going up but not sure if it has anything to do with the reversed order or not. Found some info about reversed texts on macs depending on the alphabet you use but I'm only using Latin-based alphabets. I tried importing other documents copied from top to bottom but to no avail. All new docs are right-aligned with reversed final punctuation.

Please help.

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
Thomas

Re: text right-aligned in doc browser, reversed full stop on

19.03.2016, 20:24

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for your post. It sounds like the text from the internet contains additional (unwanted) information. If you are interested in the text only and it is okay for you to ignore the formatting like bold, underlined, font size etc., you can paste the text into Word first by choosing the "text only" option to ommit all special formats. Then you can save this Word file and import the focus group transcript into MAXQDA.

If you don't use Word you can open the app Textedit on your Mac and paste the text into a new text document.

Hope this helps, best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions