advanced lexical searches

14.03.2016, 16:12

I am conducting lexical searches within a large corpus of texts (1000 articles) in MAXQDA (12.1.0), and I have three questions:

1. Is there a way to search for single characters, like question marks or colons?

2. Is there a way to locate the most frequent 3- and 4-word combinations in the corpus?

3. Is there a way to find all instances of two words in close proximity to one another? For example, if I want to find instances of the phrase "in the section," can I create a search that would also pick up "in the following section," "in the next section," "in the current section," etc.?

I have read the help provided in the Reference Manual, but I did not see answers to these questions. Are there other tutorials available for conducting advanced lexical searches in MAXQDA?

Best regards,
Teresa Thonney

Version: MAXQDA 12
System: Windows 10
tthonney

Re: advanced lexical searches

14.03.2016, 20:54

Hi Teresa,

many thanks for your questions.

ad 1. Yes, you can search for single characters (except ? and * which are used as placeholders). Just type in ; or any other in the search field of the extended or extended lexical search.

ad 2. No, but we have added this feature request to our whish list.

ad 3. The smalles section for a search is a sentence. You can type in phrases within "" in the "Analysis > Extended lexical search" dialog and select the option "Within x sentences."

There is no additional material on this topic besides the Online Help and the Reference Manual, that can be accessed from the "Help" menu.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

15.03.2016, 16:03

Thanks, Stefan, for your response to my questions. I was able to successfully search for punctuation marks (my first question).

Thanks also for explaining how to conduct an extended lexical search. This seems to be exactly what I need; however, I have not yet been able to conduct a search successfully. I enter my search terms and after a few moments, the program shuts down. I get a message that reads:

MAXQDA 12 has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

I tried numerous times yesterday and again today, with the same result every time.

Here is the search I tried:
in * writing
with “activated documents,” “within 1 sentence” (for both text and pdf), and “within a table cell” all selected.
(I tried searching within only a few documents that I know included terms like "in first-year writing" and "in creative writing.")

Do you have any suggestions? I haven't been having other issues with my computer shutting down or running slowly.

Teresa
tthonney

15.03.2016, 17:00

Hi Teresa,

I think we cannot sort this problem out without having a look at the special project. Would it be possible that you please contact our online support team and send your project? If it is too large our support staff will enable an upload link for your after you have contacted them. Please fill in the form at the bottom of this website:

http://www.maxqda.com/help-support/onlinesupport

Meanwhile you can try to reduce the number and type of activated documents to check if a single document causes the issue.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

15.03.2016, 17:27

Will do. Thanks for the help.
tthonney

Return to Technical Questions