add focus group participant?

15.02.2016, 19:48

I'm using the focus group import, and it's pretty lovely! However, I forgot to re-format one participant's info in the transcript prior to import, and just discovered it after doing some coding already. Is there any way to add a new participant within MaxQDA? Or do I need to modify the formatting and re-import, then re-code?

Also, is there any way to hide the participants in the code system and/or the document system, just to clean them up a little while I'm using other codes/documents? (The triangle thing is okay, but sometimes when I'm coding I click in the wrong spot and the code system triangle opens up because I selected a participant, which makes it tricky to get back to the other codes I'm using...
therealcaro

Re: add focus group participant?

19.02.2016, 09:44

Hi therealcaro,

many thanks for your request.

It is not possible to add participants after import, but this procedure should work:

1. Re-import the document as a focus group transcript
2. Right click on the already coded document and choose "Export teamwork" => save the coding information in a MEX file
3. Right click on the newly imported document and choose "Import teamwork". Be sure to choose the correct target document in the dropdown menu.
=> MAXQDA will transfer the coding work from the one document to the other.

It is not possible to move the speakers from the Code System or Document System, but we suggest to give them a different color and then you can right click in the grey area where the coding stripes next to the transcript are displayed and you switch the newly chosen color off and on.

Hope this helps, best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

22.02.2016, 15:47

That's lovely - thank you so much!
therealcaro

23.02.2016, 13:47

Hi, Stefan!

I exported the transcript from MaxQDA as the first step to the process, since I changed some text in the transcript within MaxQDA, making it my final version of the transcript. Oddly, though, now that I try to import the transcript again, it's not asking if I want to attach a video to it, so I'm not getting the proper timestamps and etc. Any advice on getting that box to pop up?

Caro
therealcaro

24.02.2016, 15:16

Hi Caro,

MAXQDA doesn't export the timestamps when exporting a document. If you re-import it again there are no timestamps in the file and so it does not ask for a media file to link.

You can link an audio/video file after importing the file: right click on the focus group document in the "Document System" window and select "Link audio/video file", but you won't have timestamps then ...

Hope this helps anyway, best
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

25.02.2016, 15:28

Ahhhhh that makes so much sense! Thank you, Stefan - and I'll work around it :)
therealcaro

Return to Technical Questions