Problem with Overview of Memos

25.11.2015, 13:51

Hello all:
When I go to Analysis > Overview of Memos, and then, in the table, click on "activated codes only," the table lists only the code memos, not the text (segment) memos. Has anyone run into this problem?
Thanks, Ben
bdmor

Re: Problem with Overview of Memos

28.11.2015, 02:01

Ben -

You can show the text segment memos by going to Overview of Memos, then right click on the Origin heading, click Filter, then enter Contains = 'In-document'. Click OK.

If you click on the icon for Activated Codes Only the system seems to be showing code memos only (not document or in-document memos) and only for the activated codes.

http://www.maxqda.com/support/help/maxq ... fmemos.htm

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

29.11.2015, 15:15

Justin, thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, this procedure generates all the in-text comments in the document. I am just interested in comments on a few codes. I can right-click on the code itself in the Code System, then choose Overview of Linked Memos. But this can only be done one code at a time. To my surprise, it doesn't work with groups or sets of codes.
If I am right, then this is a regrettable weakness in the program, and I hope it will be addressed in future versions.
Best, Ben
bdmor

29.11.2015, 23:10

Ben -

Ah yes, I see the difficulty.

The challenge is that memos may exist independently of codes, within a given document, or, they may be linked to one or more codes explicitly; and also, the scope of the coded segment (paragraph, sentence or word) may differ from the scope of the memo. When memos with linked codes are displayed in the Overview of Memos, the Code column remains blank.

In my own project, I tend to have unlinked memos, mostly attached to whole paragraphs, and my codes are almost always attached to whole paragraphs, so it appears that they are 'associated' but in reality, the only system linkage between them is that the code and the memo are contained within the same paragraph number. I did experiment with coding less than a paragraph (i.e. word or sentence) and with adding memos to less than a paragraph, in connection with your question, so then I started to wonder how the system would know what to retrieve.

We must therefore wait for Stefan and team to review this thread and see if they have any alternative methods to achieve the result that you want.

All the best with your project!

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

30.11.2015, 10:22

Hi Ben, hi Justin,

we understand the issue: you, Ben, want to see all memos not only linked to a selected code, but linked to several chosen codes.

For this functionality you can use the codesets: activate all codes you are interested in and then right click on the label "Set" in the "Codesystem" window to create a new set with codes. Then right click on the new set name and choose "Overview of linked memos". In the latest released version of MAXQDA (12.0.2), you will only see the code memos of the codes in the set, but we will correct this with 12.0.3 which we have planned to be released this year. Meanwhile there is only the workaround to right click on each single code and select "Overview of linked memos".

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

30.11.2015, 21:33

Stefan -

Thank you for this information. We look forward to 12.0.3 then!

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

01.12.2015, 09:56

Likewise, thank you!
Ben
bdmor

Return to Technical Questions