Method to export summary grid (coded segments + summaries)

15.09.2015, 07:27

Dear experts,

Is there a method to export the summary grid, including coded segments and the summaries? I want to share my analysis with my supervisors, and I want to share the coded segments and then my summaries.

I tried to export summary tables and that works fine, but it only shows the summaries. And I can export coded segments for the single code that I'm working on, but I cannot seem to find a method to export both simultaneously.

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

Re: Method to export summary grid (coded segments + summarie

21.09.2015, 20:46

Hi Justin,

at first let us apologize for answering late. The idea of the Summary Grid and the Summary Tables is that you enter a new level of analysis that abstracts the level of the coded segments. So there is no special feature of exporting Summarys together with the underlying coded segments simultaneously.

The only way I see is to export the coded segments in another Excel file, that has the same structure as the Summary Table. The Summary Table presents a matrix where the documents form the rows and the codes (and variables) build the columns. So what about creating a Quote Matrix from the Code Matrix Browser:

1. Activate the documents and codes that are displayed in the Summary Table.
2. Open the "Code Matrix Browser" from the main menu "Visual Tools". MAXQDA creates a matrix with document x codes.
3. Click on the symbol "Quote Matrix" which will create an Excel file that contains all the coded segment you need at once.
4. You only will have to swap rows and columns: highlight all cells in the Excel file, copy them to the clipboard, create a new worksheet inside the Excel file and choose "Insert from clipboard > Transposed" (the name of the function and its location differs in Microsoft Office versions).

Now you have an Excel file that can be used as a "reference" for the Summarys.

Hope this helps!
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Re: Method to export summary grid (coded segments + summarie

21.09.2015, 20:54

Stefan -

Thanks for this advice. I will use that method.

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

Return to Technical Questions