Copying coded documents

31.05.2015, 20:19

Hello,
Does anyone know if it is possible to take a document or portions of a document that have been coded and copy it to a new document (and retain the coding and memos that you did)? For one, I have a bunch of documents coded in one project that I want to copy or duplicate into another project without having to recode them. Also, within a project I sometimes want to copy/duplicate a document so I can make changes to it but still keep some of the initial codes. Any insight on this would really help, thank you!

Jackie
Jackie

Re: Copying coded documents

02.06.2015, 12:09

Hallo Jackie,

I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly.

If you want to copy (whole) coded documents from one project (project 1) to another project (project 2), this will probably be the easiest way:

1. Create a copy of project 1 with a new name ("Project > Backup project").
2. Delete all documents from this backup project 1 except for the ones you want to copy to project 2.
3. Close backup project 1 and open project 2.
4. Merge project 2 with backup project 1 ("Project > Merge projects"). Do not agree to overwrite code memos or the logbook.

If you want to duplicate a document within a project, you could procede in a similiar way. Or you could use the teamwork functions:

1. Create an uncoded copy of the document in question, e. g. by dragging the document in the Document System while holding the Ctrl-key (MAXQDA for Windows).
2. Right-click on the coded document and choose "Teamwork export" from the context menu. Save the .mex-file.
3. Right-click on the uncoded document and choose "Teamwork import" from the context menu. Choose the .mex-file you have just saved.

If you actually want to take a coded document or portions of a coded document and transfer it into another document, this is actually far more tricky. The procedure also varies depending on whether the "new" document is also coded. If this is what you want to do, please let us know.
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,

Katrin Kleemann
Katrin Kleemann

Re: Copying coded documents

09.06.2015, 00:18

Thank you! I will try this and see if it works. It sounds like what I was looking for.
Jackie

Return to Technical Questions