Problem importing NVivo 9 project into MAXQDA 11

26.02.2014, 17:18

I have followed the instructions in MAXQDA 11 for importing an NVivo 9 project (from the help topic "Importing NVivo Projects), but the importing stalled. It created the many *.rtf files from the NVivo project in the working folder, but produced an error message for each file claiming it could not open it because it was in use. With over 200 files, it was quite a mess to get out of this loop. I have SQL-Server 2008 installed, as well as MS Word, so don't know what the problem is. I do not have NVivo 9 installed, because I had upgraded to NVivo 10 (I was using an old saved copy of the project from v. 9). Do I have to have NVivo 9 installed? If not, any ideas on what could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance.
JBAnthro
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 24.02.2014, 14:29

Re: Problem importing NVivo 9 project into MAXQDA 11

04.03.2014, 06:40

After some experimenting, I succeeded in importing my project. First, I used a laptop that still has NVivo9 installed on it, rather than v. 10 that I have on my desktop. Second, I kept the project files on a flash drive. I have no idea whether these steps were important or not. But then I discovered that the primary problem I had was caused by Endnote, bibliographic software that modifies MS Word. I disabled it from inside Word, and the importing went well, except for a few files that I will have to add separately. (Re Endnote, I have noticed in the past that if I open multiple Word files at the same time, it trips up the EndNoteCwyw.dotm file and produces an error message. The import program, by opening all the .doc and .rtf files rapidly, was causing the same thing to happen.)
JBAnthro
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 24.02.2014, 14:29

Return to Technical Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest