Is it possible to extract a document set into a new project?

11.11.2013, 17:35

Hi! I wonder if it is possible to extract a document set into a new project. My project is very big, and it takes 10-15 min just to open it. Usually I only work with a subset of documents, so I wonder if I could just separate this subset?
Thanks!
forrat

Re: Is it possible to extract a document set into a new proj

13.11.2013, 17:22

Hi,

we are sorry, but there is no function for creating a new project from a document set.
We have never heard about a project, that takes 10 to 15 minutes to open. How many documents and codes and how many coded segments does your project contain? Maybe there is another possibility to speed up the startup.

You could already have a try to use the function "Project > Backup project", because this reduces the file size and cleans the project data base.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

13.11.2013, 19:15

Thanks, Stefan. Backing up reduced the size somewhat, but it still took 19 min. to open (now I measured the time). The project has 16700 documents and only three codes so far. It's about 88 Mb. I imported the documents through preprocessed text and formed a set based on an attribute. The set only has 186 documents, and I would really want to separate it and possibly include into another project. Do you think there may be a way of doing this other than exporting the documents one by one and then reimporting them into another project?
forrat

14.11.2013, 15:17

Hi,

this is a real amount of data!

We are sorry, but we don't see a chance to export the documents at once with a few mouse clicks. The easiest way will be to double click on each document in the set to open it and click the "Export" button in the "Document Browser" window.

We have added this feature to our list of improvements.

Best regard,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

20.11.2013, 17:45

If you don't mind my asking, the number of your documents is intriguing: Can you describe, at least in general terms, what those documents are? I'm guessing they're not interviews; are they emails, forum postings, survey responses, or something else? And are they stored in a single folder, distributed across multiple folders, or stored in a database?

I may have a project on the horizon involving a similarly large number of documents, and your insights on managing such a large collection would be very much appreciated.

Thanks -
rg4w

21.11.2013, 11:57

It's newspaper publications that I extracted from a database. The documents are stored in rtf files, each containing 100 articles. I can send you my data collection protocol if you want (send me an e-mail to my-user-name-in-this-forum at gmail). It took me five full working days to create the project - I tried to do all I could automatically, there was quite a bit of manual work.
forrat

21.11.2013, 12:13

Hi forrat,

good news: We have optimized the loading of a new project and with MAXQDA 11.0.3 large projects with lots of documents will be loaded significantly faster. MAXQDA 11.0.3 will be available for free soon. To install it, click "? > Search for updates" in MAXQDA.

All the best for your analysis.
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

22.11.2013, 16:34

Thanks, Stefan!
forrat

22.11.2013, 17:17

Good work, Stefan. What programming language is MaxQDA written in? That was an impressively short turnaround.
rg4w

Return to Technical Questions