importing MaxQDA via Excel

24.07.2013, 15:24

Dear all,

I'm at the early stages of the process and in the middle of deciding how to best structure data.

I have both, individual text documents and a 'master' sheet (in excel) with all of the individual documents. the question is? how to proceed?

the individual text document is the most cumbersome as i could have to format each document so it autocodes in the structure i want.

the table option is easy as i've already arranged the individual documents in the structure i want them.

how does MaxQDA deals with incremental imports via tables?

i have tried importing my table in excel, generating the structure i want and then ADDING something to the existing table in excel and reimporting. what i find is that maxqda is not picking up the new information in the cells (i'm not adding necessarily new variables or columns). will MaxQDA only add new variables/columns and their new information without touching the previously coded stuff?
pozaicer

Re: importing MaxQDA via Excel

08.08.2013, 18:30

Hi,

at first please let me say sorry for answering late ...
I am not sure if I understand the questions completely but maybe these hints are helpful:

MAXQDA doesn't allow incremental import for single documents: This means you can't add columns to the Excel file later on and import the Excel file again to add coded text to existing documents.
But you can add new documents via the Excel import: Just create a new spreadsheet with new documents (and new names, that don't exist already) in the rows and import again.

What you can do after you have already imported the documents, it to add or change document variable information for these documents: You can use the menu "Variables > Data editor (document variables)" and click on the button "Import".

Does this help?
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

14.08.2013, 14:52

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for getting back to me on this issue and apologies for my lack of clarity in explaining my question.

Nevertheless, you have answered what i needed to know and this is that you cannot add columns to an excel document and then re-import whilst keeping the same codes.

My 'problem' is that I have a medium sized database, 21 unique rows as unique cases and in excess of 40 variables (columns), each intersection is a piece of textual information that needs coded. My data comes in every day/week/month, and this data effectively gets time-stamped in a further column that matches a case (row).

So i suppose that what i can do is to import my most up-to-date matrix, and then add documents individually and code to the relevant variables before coding.

does this make sense?

thanks again
pozaicer

14.08.2013, 15:09

Hi,

it makes a difference if you want to add a) whole documents to the project or b) parts into an already existing documents.

b) doesn't work but a) should work fine:

Create an Excel sheet each week (or day or month) with the latest (!) documents to import, each document in one row.
Add the variable information you need in the columns and import it via "Import documents from spreadsheet" into MAXQDA.

MAXQDA adds the documents and adds the variable values for the imported documents. Exisiting variable names will be used.
If the codes defined in the column headings already exist, they won't be recreated, but used for the imported documents.

Hope this helps now, best Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

14.08.2013, 15:39

thanks Stefan, if i understand you correctly the 'b)' option works as follows, where columns are time series (incremental) and cases are fixed:

variable 1 variable 2 variable 3
case 1 up down up
case 2 up up up
case 3 down up up

so having imported these, i have the option of filtering intersections of interest for coding.

when the next document comes in, you suggest i import it again, so for example i would have

variable 4 variable 5 variable 6
case 1 up down up
case 2 up up up
case 3 down up up

so, if i do this, MAXQDA will deliver me a 'case 1, 2 & 3' with 6 variables then?

am i following you right?
pozaicer

18.08.2013, 19:38

I meant it more like this:

Start with "Documents > Import documents from spreadsheet" with the following table

code a code b code c code d $variable a $variable b $variable c
document 1 text text text text woman 1,000$ childs
codument 2 text text text text man 500$ no childs

Next week you import the next documents to add them in the project with the same function "Documents > Import documents from spreadsheet" and the same table, just the documents have new names:

code a code b code c code d $variable a $variable b $variable c
document 3 text text text text man 750$ childs
codument 4 text text text text man 750$ childs

MAXQDA will add document 3 and 4 to the project .

If you only want to update or add variable values to already existing documents in MAXQDA you can use the function "Variables > Import data (document variables)". If you import the following excel structure, MAXQDA will add 1 new variable d and will update the values for the existing variable b:

variable b variable d
document 3 1,000$ married
document 4 1,000$ married

Hope this helps,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

26.08.2013, 12:34

Thanks Stefan,

I have worked through your helpful examples and it does solve some of my issues. I think I may be suffering a bout of stupidity as I still struggle to figure out one further aspect, and i'm sure it is very easy to solve somehow, perhaps just by shifting the shape of my data.

so please allow me to re-word my problem with examples:

i have 22 cases, using two just as example:

code a code b code c $variable a $variable b
document 1 text text text woman child
document 2 text text text man no children

next week, i get an update from existing cases, and this is part of a different code because it is 'code d' (which means 'August', whereas code a, b, c mean 'may', 'june', 'july'), so i get the following:

code d
document 1 text
document 2 text

all of the previous information is kept constant, as the document 1 (which refers to 'case 1') does not change in it's previous answers and/or it's variables, they are just adding information.

what would be the best way of setting up this? should i try a different convention for the database structure so my 'naming' convention changes as time increases? if this was the case then my database sheet will be grow 'vertically' rather than 'horizontally'?

i hope i am making some more sense than before.
pozaicer

27.08.2013, 14:26

Hi,

it looks like one of these two options could be helpful:

1) Import your documents via excel. Then every month, copy the new information at the end of the existing documents and code them manually, e.g. with "August". For this you have to open each document, turn on the Edit-mode, paste the text information and close the edit-mode. If you have 22 documents, this may take a while, but it's bearable.

2) Import your documents via excel and start your analysis. All the documents are all in the same document group e.g. "Jan-July". When you have new information import the documents again into a new document group e.g. "Jan-Aug". Now do a teamwork export to export all of the codes/memos from your first document group. Then do a teamwork import of those codes/memos onto the new document group. This could be a little trick, so I would suggest to make a copy of your project before attempting this solution, but it just might work great for your data.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Gerson
MAXQDA Team
Julia Gerson

Return to Technical Questions