What to do if sub-codes apply to more than one code?

15.02.2013, 15:49

I am coding interview transcripts by following the interview schedule. I have assigned each question-answer sequence a respective code. I then inductively applied sub-codes to every coded section. I now realized that several sub-codes do apply to more than one code. I therefore wonder how to proceed. Should I stick to only one sub-code and apply all instances in the whole document to that code or would it be better to duplicate the respective sub-code in every code so that they are kept separated and the hierarchical logic of MaxQDA is adhered to.

I hope more experienced users can suggest sensible solutions. Thank you!
Thomas Ring

Re: What to do if sub-codes apply to more than one code?

15.02.2013, 20:43

Dear Thomas,

in my opinion there is no "right" answer to your question and it depends on the concrete subject and the goal of the research, but perhaps these hints are helpful:

If you duplicate the subc-code you have direct access to all the text passages within the subject of the parent code. This could be helpful, if you don't have many doubled sub-codes and if there is a thematic joint between the parent and the sub-code that makes sense. For example you could use this structure for your code system, if you had analysed the self efficacy (Bandura) in the context of different life stages. You could create
Childhood > Self Efficacy
Adolescent > Self Efficacy
Adulthood > Self Efficacy

MAXQDA allows to search for combination of codes, i.e. for "Overlapping" or for "Intersection" or for "If inside" codes. So the other method is to define a (sub-)code only once and use these function later on for searching for interdependencies within the codes, i.e. "Self Efficacy" inside "Adulthood". I would prefer this method 2, if there are several different intersections between the subjects.

Hope this helps - if not, you could precise your question to a concrete subject perhaps?

Best,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

18.02.2013, 18:34

As I am new to MAXQDA, I would be grateful if you can help me explore and understand method 2 further.

For example, I have two main codes that address how teams address "insecurities in decision-making" and "differences in decision-making preferences". In both cases, a common answer was "through discussions".

So, according the method 1, I would do the following:
insecurities JDM > discussions
differences JDM > discussions

What exactly would I do for method 2?
insecurities JDM > discussions
differences JDM > ???

Would I only create the sub-code "insecurities JDM > discussions" and apply it to all instances in "differences JDM" without creating "differences JDM > discussions"? How do I then exactly query for "differences JDM > discussions" in method 2?

Many thanks for your help.
Thomas Ring

19.02.2013, 08:41

Hi Thomas,

the Code System for method 2 would look like the following (3 main codes)

A) insecurities JDM
B) differences JDM
C) discussions

To query for A) + B) you can activate the codes A) and B) by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on them. Afterwards you can
use "Visual Tools > Code Relations Browser", which displays the co-occurence of codes, or you can use "Anayse > Coding Query" and perform a complex query looking for "intersections".

If you don't have many subcodes labelled the same, I think I would prefer method 1, because it seems to be easier to code the text pieces with the subcode directly. And: It won't be a problem to merge or copy the both subcodes "discussions" after your coding process into a new code for deeper or broader analysis.

Hope this helps,
Best regards
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions