Exporting coded segments with Memos

30.01.2013, 20:33

I love the ability to export a group of coded segments out to HTML or Excel or whatever. I have worked out how to select the reporting fields that I want too (e.g. document name, author, time, start finish etc).

The question I have is: In the same report/export, can I also export the attached memos for those coded segments.

For example: I have a code called Key Quotes. In here I code all text that I deem to be potential exemplary vignettes for my project. To each of these segments I attach a memo explaining why I deem it to be a potential gem. I would like to create a report that exports both the vignette and my memo (as well as the other stuff detailing the document name, author etc).

Is this possible?
I am using Version 10 of the software.
Thanks in advance,
Catharina
Catharina

Re: Exporting coded segments with Memos

04.02.2013, 08:44

Dear Catharina,

we added the feature to export the coded segments with associated memos in MAXQDA 11. It won't work in MAXQDA 10.

Until you have MAXQDA 11 you can use the 30 day trial version, open your MAXQDA 10 project with it and export the coded segments there.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

12.02.2013, 22:12

Stefan, I have upgraded to Version 11.
When I export my coded segments (for example, my 'key quotes'), I now see a column called memos, but my memos are not displayed in the column and are not exported to the excel or html output.
Is there a step I am missing? Do I have to link the Key Quote to the Memo or do something to make it display.
Thanks in advance,
Catharina
Catharina

13.02.2013, 08:49

Catharina,

MAXQDA 11 should export all memos that are shown in the Retrieved Segment window. This means: all memos that are attached next to the part of a coded text or picture and are included in the retrieval should be exported in the Excel table.

If you run into troubles with this procedure, please register as a user and send your project with a short explanation to our support team via this web page:
http://www.maxqda.com/support/onlinesupport

Hope, this helps
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

14.02.2013, 15:40

Catharina

30.10.2014, 23:21

So this has an unexpected limitation, and only exports memos for text segments that also have a code.
If there is no code, the memo isn't exported.

This creates a limitation if the memos are meant for question followup.
mloxton

24.11.2014, 09:37

Hi mloxton,

if you want to export all memos or all code memos independent of the fact that they are shown in the "Retrieved segments" window, you can use the "Memo manager" and export the memos from there.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

01.12.2014, 23:29

Memo Manager is nice, but it doesn't include the text to which the memo refers.
So If I select a text segment and add a memo to it, I would want to be able to list both the text segments and the associated memos.

For example:

Text segment:
"Strategy 1: Operate a healthcare network that anticipates and meets the unique needs
of enrolled Veterans, in general, and the service disabled and most vulnerable
Veterans, in particular. "

Code "Match" [the segment matches a functionality in policies & processes in use]

Memo
"Accumulated VA UM data and national UM criteria allow improved ability to forecast service demand and episode frequencies, and thus to shape service times and provision to match the VA patient population needs
UM data allows VA to identify vulnerable population groups and to provide analytics on outcomes of interventions."

Just listing the memo doesn't help to understand to what it was referring.
mloxton

02.12.2014, 10:48

Dear mloxton,

you are right, the text of the coding is not displayed in the Memo Manager and can only be retrieved by activation of the code(s) and document(s) in question. It is an interesting suggestion, though, and we have forwarded it to our developers.
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,

Katrin Kleemann
Katrin Kleemann

08.07.2015, 17:14

Does MaxQDA have any plans to allow memos to be exported alongside the coded segments in the RTF format as well? Currently, exporting memos seems to be possible only in the HTML and Excel formats.

This would be helpful to me, because I only use the RTF export format. I'd like to see the memos that I have attached to my coded PDFs in the RTF export files. (This ability is not as important for my interview transcripts, since I have begun making notes/memos simply inside the interview text itself, so that I could see them in the RTF export file. But I cannot edit PDFs and thus cannot have my notes/memos appear in the RTF output.)

Thank you
lauri

22.07.2015, 09:01

Dear lauri,

please excuse our late reply. As I have written in your other request, we are already planning to implement this function in the next version of MAXQDA.
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,

Katrin Kleemann
Katrin Kleemann

Return to Technical Questions