Tag Cloud - Word Frequency List

07.06.2012, 22:11

:?: Let's talk about Tag Cloud for a minute. It works very well as designed. IMO it could be better especially when you have to edit words with high frequency. I would like the "ignore hit" to be saved in the same manner the "stop-list" is saved. Most actions are automatically saved when changed in MAXQDA10. Why not this? Currently I'm working outside the program (export to excel) to edit the data on high frequency words. Any thoughts?
Patti

Re: Tag Cloud - Word Frequency List

08.06.2012, 11:39

Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

08.06.2012, 17:02

When you want to "search results"for a word in the Word Frequency List you are only allowed to edit the results you want by (ignore hit) as long as you are in the program. Exiting and re-entering starts the whole process from the start. Words with large hit amounts cannot be evaluated at one time. I was only hoping to be able to work in the program over a length of time and have any previous work saved. It seems this is not possible. Specific to myself is a word that has 900+ hits (no its not "and" "or" "the"). Of that is approximately 20 or so quotes from interviews I might be interested in using for my thesis. Hard to have someone on it continuously. The work-around has been to export the entire results to Excel and work on in that program. Does that sound right?
Patti

08.06.2012, 19:34

Hi,

thanks for the additional information, now it gets clear: The "Search result" function in the "Word frequency list" of a "Tag cloud " starts a standard "Lexical search" for the word you are looking for. The "ignore hit" function is only active for the last search result and will be reseted after performing another lexical search.

If you "Autocode" the 20 relevant hits within your 900+ search results with a new code, you can access these words in the future immediately by activating the code in the "Code System". Perhaps MAXDictio is an option for you, too. For example you can create a word frequency table for the retrieved segments with MAXDictio.

Hope this helps. Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

Re: Tag Cloud - Application of stopp list

24.08.2012, 16:39

Hi everybody,

how can I apply the stopp list to the tag cloud.
My stop list works for the word frequency but not for the tag cloud.
What do I have to do to apply it?

Thanks in advance!!!
silkeb

26.08.2012, 19:13

Hi,

at first be sure, you are working with the latest release of MAXQDA 10: Please start the function "Search for Updates" in the help "?" menue.

Then:

1. Open a tag cloud.

2. Click on the button "Word frequency list".

3. Double click on each green point in the first column for each word you want to add to the stop list.

4. Open the tag cloud.

Please notice that MAXQDA 10 only counts words with three characters or more in the tag cloud. With an update in the near future it will count words with 1 character or more.

In addition to this, please notice that the stopp list of MAXDictio and the one for tag clouds are different ones.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

13.11.2014, 16:58

Hi,

I have a problem with tag cloud. I worked with it several times and so far it gave me a normal size (approx. 50 words in the tag cloud). This time I asked for a tag cloud for one document and it shows more than 100 words in the tag cloud which is strange and way too much. How does that work? Why does it show me so many words? Thanks!

Rachel
Rachel

14.11.2014, 11:50

Hi Rachel,

it depends on the word frequencies, what MAXQDA displays in the tag cloud. If the 50th word is in the text corpora 6 times and there are several other words that are 6 times in the corpora, MAXQDA will show them all, because otherwise there would be the problem, what word to select.

Does this explanation fit to your data? You can check it by clicking on the button "Word frequency" in the tag cloud.
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions