Importing document descriptors (Excel spreadsheet)

20.12.2011, 17:37

Hello!

I have thousands of documents, and to keep track of them, I have an excel spreadsheet that indicates the file name (with unique descriptor), the author, the destination, the title, the source, etc. There is no substantive information here, only the nuts and bolts that allow me to keep track of the nature and source of each document.

I would like for these descriptors to be "linked" to the document in Maxqda, so I can later filter the documents by author X vs. Y, for example.

I've imported the excel spreadsheet. Maxqda created a list of documents that corresponds to the document names in the spreadsheet. All the information in the spreadsheet has appeared in the document itself (when I open the document in the browser), with each column in the spreadsheet now being a line and the title of the column has become a code.

I don't mind having all the descriptive information show up in the document itself. But I do not want the column titles to be a code. And I would like the descriptors to be linked to the document so I can then e.g., isolate a specific type of author.

Is this where variables come in? Or should I just insert this information by hand and code it manually (as a code, instead of as a descriptor).

I'm sorry for being long-winded and hope some of this makes sense...!

Best,

Rachelle
cloutie3

Re: Importing document descriptors (Excel spreadsheet)

23.12.2011, 14:31

Hi Rachelle,

the best would be to import the context information for a document as variables in MAXQDA. To do so, create an Excel sheet containing two columns "document group" and "document name" as the identifiiers for each document and add a column for each variable you have.

You can import this data matrix by choosing "Variables > Import" from the main menue.

After you have imported the context information, you can use the function "Activation by variables" which can be found in the "Mixed Methods" menu or via right clicking on the root of the documents. Hit the info button on the Activation by variables window to get more information about how you can choose only the documents you want to include in your analysis.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
Stefan Rädiker

02.01.2012, 16:09

I will try that, THANK YOU very much for your reply!
cloutie3

10.01.2012, 18:26

Hello again!

As a follow-up: Do I have to have a final/complete Excel spreadsheet with all the docnames, docgroups and variables BEFORE I import it to maxqda? Or can I create a spreadsheet with a few documents, and add as a go through the materials?

Many thanks in advance!

Rachelle
cloutie3

10.01.2012, 21:04

Hi,

the Excel spreadsheet with variables can contain only one row and you can import them at each step of the analyiss process. Be aware, that MAXQDA updates all already existing values and adds all values that the spreadsheet contains.

This means you can create a spreadsheet with variables and variable values for a few documents and add as a go through the matrials.

Best,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

11.01.2012, 11:12

Great news! Merci!
cloutie3

31.03.2014, 09:34

Hi,

here is a short comment: the Excel spreadsheet needs to have at least one row with data in it. It is possible to use a document group and document name that doesn't exist in the project so nothing will be changed in the project file

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions