MAXQDA

Stop lists for Dictionary-based Autocoding?

13.05.2021, 19:27

Is it possible to use a stop list when I use a dictionary to autocode? For example, when I code the term "minority" (as in racial minority) I would like to exclude "Minority Leader of the Senate" to avoid false positives.

If this is not possible, is there a workaround?

It seems like stoplists are currently only available in the word frequency and word combination functions.

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina)
Hubtone

Re: Stop lists for Dictionary-based Autocoding?

18.05.2021, 09:48

Hi!

Have you tried running Quantitative Content Analysis with dictionary categories (MAXQDA > MAXDictio > Quantitative Content Analysis), open "Search Results" view in the results table, go through your hits, send certain undesired hits to the stop list and run autocoding from there? Maybe this can be a workaround for you?

Best regards

Aikokul
Aikokul

18.05.2021, 19:31

Thank you! Interesting workaround. Unfortunately, it won't quite work for me since I would have to comb through all the results again if I added a new word to the dictionary or applied the dictionary to new documents.

The workaround that I have used so far is to create a dictionary called "exclude" and then use the smartcoding tool to examine passages that have been coded "exclude" and then removing both the "exclude" code and the incorrectly applied code (e.g. "minority"). But this is also fairly tedious.
Hubtone

19.05.2021, 08:04

I think Aikokul_des solution doesn't work. Putting "Minority Leader" into the stop list would not prevent a match of the search pattern "Minority". According to my experimentation a single word search pattern will always cause a match, even if it is additionally part of an excluded pattern in a stop list. MAxDictio doesn't support regular expressions. With a regex you could define a pattern like "Minority not followed by Leader".
Asterix

Return to Technical Questions