MAXQDA

Reducing file size

07.03.2021, 17:24

Hello
I have a project in which I am coding several thousand images.
The file has grown to 4.46GB and opening it is starting to take a toll on my computer. I'm worried about how things might develop as I continue working and coding.
When I was importing the images, whenever I was asked, I chose to import the files into the MAXQDA project. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have done that. The question is whether I can do anything about it now? Or must I just hope that the file doesn't get too big for my machine to cope with? (which kind of shouldn't happen, I think. I'm running a 2013 iMac with a 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3)
Thanks
Nik

Version: MAXQDA 2018
System: Mac OS X 11.0 (Big Sur)
nicholasjohn

Re: Reducing file size

09.03.2021, 13:04

Dear Nik,

Thank you for posting here! We recommend to save the files as external files to reduce the size of your project file, which is of course also possible at a later point.

To do so, please go to Home > External Files > Store Documents in Folder for External Files. A dialog box will appear listing all documents stored in the MAXQDA project file. Here you select all the documents that you want to store externally. You can read more about External Files here in our online manual:
https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/import/external-files

I hope this helps!

Kind regards on behalf of MAXQDA,
Maren
MAXQDA support team
Maren_eng

Return to Technical Questions