MAXQDA

Separate Transcripts from voice recordings

18.02.2021, 12:05

Hello!

I wonder if it is possible to separate transcripts from voice recordings once I do not need the voice recordings anymore. Due to data protection I must delete the voice recordings after my analysis.

One solution that probably works could be to simply delete the separate voice recording files. But I do not know if this might cause problems at a later time when I continue to work with the transcripts, codes, analysis etc.. I would therefore prefer a function that properly sepearates the transcript from the voice recordings. Does this exist? What solution do you suggest?

Thank you!

Best regards
Boris

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
Boris S.

Re: Separate Transcripts from voice recordings

19.02.2021, 11:35

Dear Boris,

thank you for your question! Yes, you can separate the audio file from the transcript again. Here is how:
- Right click on a document in the list of documents
- Select "Preferences" in the context menu
- Go to "media file" and delete the path

Now the link will be gone and the transcript is only a plain text. Please note, this will also remove the "clock icons" (time stamps) if you did not write the time stamps into the text, this might be a disadvantage. In this case, you can also simply delete the audio files from the external folder. You might get a message that the audio file was not found, but this will not cause any further difficulties and preserve the "clocks" / time stamps.

I hope this helps! If not, or in case of any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Andreas
Andreas M.

Return to Technical Questions