MAXQDA

Bulk Import of Videos

28.09.2020, 16:33

Hi there. I'm trying to determine if there is a way to import a lot of videos at once.

I have about 1500 mp4 files with associated srt subtitle files, and it would be quite time consuming to manually import each pair. Is there a way to automate this in some way?

Version: MAXQDA 2020
System: Windows 10
anonymous_questions

Re: Bulk Import of Videos

29.09.2020, 14:34

Hi!

There is of course a way to import documents in MAXQDA in bulk. To to so, create a folder and transfer there the documents (texts, pictures, media files etc.), then open MAXQDA and drag the folder from the Windows Explorer or Mic Finder to the Document System. MAXQDA automatically creates a document group with the same name at the top of the document system and import all the documents. I would suggest you break your media data into several folders by theme, date, author or other characteristics, and import them one by one. Since you have a lot of media files, and they are usually large in size, please have patience with it :). By the way, your project file might quickly become very large, which can affect MAXQDA's overall performance. Therefore, you may want to consider storing your media files in an external folder? You will find detailed instructions in our online manual here:

https://www.maxqda.com/help-mx20/import/external-files

I hope this helps! Best regards from MAXQDA,

Aikokul
Aikokul

29.09.2020, 16:27

Hi, thanks for the help.

I'm encountering a roadblock in the method you suggest. For every video I import, it asks if I want to import an associated transcription. Or, alternatively, for every transcription I import, it asks if I want to import an associated video/audio file.

Is there a way to have MAXQDA batch-import pairs of video and transcription files without asking about each one individually?
anonymous_questions

30.09.2020, 09:51

Hi,

hmm, I'm afraid there's no way to circumvent this question. Not yet. You need to click "No" after each media file has been successfully imported. Sorry, but I will make sure to let our developers know about the case at hand.

Best wishes for your research project!

Aikokul
Aikokul

06.11.2020, 11:07

Hi,

I have just found out a trick that allows you to escape all those dialogues while importing videos in bulk. It is not officially in our knowledge database and may not work for all systems and software versions, but I remembered your question immediately when this trick worked for me. OK, after you select all media files in bulk and import them to MAXQDA, you will get the dialogue with that question, keep pressing the "escape" button for a couple of seconds until all files have been imported into the project. This way, you may avoid clicking "No" for every file. If interested, please let us know if this works for you!

Best regards,

Aikokul
Aikokul

Return to Technical Questions